Os checking with Dickey

interloper

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Dickey is not Colon, Rickey, or Ichiro. Satchel Page may have played at age 60. Or later. 

You asked "wouldn't you retire" at 44, which has no bearing on anything. Dickey is not you nor I. He has a hell of a lot more in common with Ichiro than with us. A lot of players would like to keep playing until they are 50 or 60. Most, probably, since it is all they know. Very few have that opportunity. Dickey does have that opportunity to continue playing at 44.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, tntoriole said:

My brother has known Scott McGregor for years and they were chatting in Sarasota and he said Tilly “has his arm slot back and he has a fire in his belly and a chip on his shoulder.”   I hope so on both counts.  Comeback player of the year would help a lot. 

Unfortunately, he doesn't have his old velocity, and his fastball is not effective below 92 mpg (according to Statcast).

On 3/24/2018 at 8:42 AM, wildcard said:

Doesn't make a lot of sense with a rotation on Bundy, Cashner, Gausman, Cobb and Tillman.    I certainly don't want Sisco trying to catch a knuckleball.    O's are about at 160m.   I don't see they adding  higher priced players now.

Sisco's problem is poor footwork, which causes poor throws. There is no indication he would be any worse at catching the knuckleball than the other Orioles' catchers.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, wildcard said:

I do think one of the O's biggest needs is starter depth.   I would think someone with a low salary and options would be a good fit.

The Orioles "need starter depth" but signing Dickey "doesn't make a lot of sense with a rotation" that includes Tillman. These statements appear to contradict each other.

Looks to me that Dickey would be a tremendous upgrade over Tillman in the rotation.

Dickey, Lackey, Feldman have been FA all offseason. 

Kazmir, Nolasco, Colon, have all recently been released. 

We’ll see some guys opt that didn’t make MLB clubs also. We need some depth. 

Lackey is 39. Has three WS rings and has made around $140 million in his career. Probably why he didn’t accept a milb deal. And he’s a jerk(censored).

14 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Actually, I read that Lin cecum is planning to have some sort of showcase on Monday. I don' t think that his '18 plans include spending most of the season on the dl.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:21 PM, weams said:

As you said though. All in God's hand.  The timeline, treatment, and prognosis were eerily similar though. 

e

On 3/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, weams said:

I've not.  He chose the Orioles because of the guaranteed MLB contract though. He'll gladly take the money and go elsewhere if needed. He's on a make good this year.  

Also, he has no options. So it's not like he would not need to be waived. Pass the Giants, and be offered reassignment. Which he could refuse and still collect his full deal. And then sign with the Giants. 

Well, he sucks a**, so I mean.  It would be nice if he would.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Dickey is not Colon, Rickey, or Ichiro. Satchel Page may have played at age 60. Or later. 

Officially, he pitched a scoreless inning at age 58.   His last real season was at age 46 (119 ERA+ in 117 IP.    I wish we could have seen what he could have done in his prime as a major leaguer.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Officially, he pitched a scoreless inning at age 58.   His last real season was at age 46 (119 ERA+ in 117 IP.    I wish we could have seen what he could have done in his prime as a major leaguer.   

Unofficially, I've read somewhere that he may have shaved ten years off his age. 

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Dickey could just come off the couch and throw the knuckler for us on April 4th @Houston  

His was never a traditional knuckler. His was always a hard one. Also, he has no UCL. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

Unofficially, I've read somewhere that he may have shaved ten years off his age. 

Yeah, I’d doubt that.    It’s hard enough getting major league hitters out at 46.    That puts you in the oldest 0.01% of anyone who’s ever played in MLB.    You and I both know from experience that there’s a huge difference between 46 and 56 physically.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’d doubt that.    It’s hard enough getting major league hitters out at 46.    That puts you in the oldest 0.01% of anyone who’s ever played in MLB.    You and I both know from experience that there’s a huge difference between 46 and 56 physically.

Don't I ever. 

While the records show that Paige was born in 1906, his lengthy playing career made his age a constant topic of debate in the media. Many reporters incorrectly believed he’d born in the 19th century, and Paige only added to the legend by playfully claiming that a goat “ate the bible with the birth certificate in it.” He even offered a cash reward to anyone that could find proof of his age. “How old would you be if you didn’t know hold old you were?” he once asked.

He died at age "75"

https://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-satchel-paige

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Per Wikipedia, Paige had given out so many versions of his birthday that Bill Veech went and got a copy of his birth certificate, which said he was born in 1906.    He was pitching semi-pro by 1924, and professionally by 1926.    I tend to believe he was 20, not 10, at the time.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Per Wikipedia, Paige had given out so many versions of his birthday that Bill Veech went and got a copy of his birth certificate, which said he was born in 1906.    He was pitching semi-pro by 1924, and professionally by 1926.    I tend to believe he was 20, not 10, at the time.   

Sounds good. 

Archived