Chris Davis to leadoff?

gtman55

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

There is nobody on base in the first inning. There could be in subsequent at bats. Batting leadoff adds extra ABs for Davis to whiff with runners on base.

Maybe they want to get the most out of that contract they signed him to.:ph34r:

To get the most, which at this point would mean to have the least damage, they would have to DFA him today. Folks haven't yet grasped how bad he is going to be this year

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

To get the most, which at this point would mean to have the least damage, they would have to DFA him today. Folks haven't yet grasped how bad he is going to be this year

You are thinking of Tillman here.

If they both perform similarly to how they did last year, at least Davis will OPS @ .800 with 30HRs and play ok defense. The contract is a sunk cost. Meanwhile, there's a good chance that Tillman will have nothing positive to say about his performance.

25 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

There is nobody on base in the first inning. There could be in subsequent at bats. Batting leadoff adds extra ABs for Davis to whiff with runners on base.

Maybe they want to get the most out of that contract they signed him to.:ph34r:

It will give him more at bats. Not necessarily more at bats with RISP. 

Davis striking out while looking is annoying AF, I don't disagree.  

But I think Davis is one of the more patient hitters we have.  He's one of the few guys we have where his OBP isn't propped up by his batting average.  There's always about .100 points of separation between the average and the OBP.  Also, I'm pretty sure he sees more pitches per at bat than anyone on the team.

That sucks if he's going to hit .210 but not bad if he's going to hit .250-.260.  

I'm not terribly opposed to the idea as we don't have a real traditional leadoff hitter with speed type on the roster.  Probably won't until Mullins comes up.  

I'm not sure what Chris Davis we'll get this year, I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.  If batting him leadoff turns out to be something that works, well cheers and a tip of the cap to Buck.  Nothing wrong with trying.

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It will give him more at bats. Not necessarily more at bats with RISP. 

Besides batting in the first inning, getting more at bats will correlate to getting more at bats with runners on base. If there is a runner on base in half of the non-first inning at bats, then 50 more at bats means 25 more chances to whiff with runners on.

Nobody ever said anything about runners in scoring position.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Davis striking out while looking is annoying AF, I don't disagree.  

But I think Davis is one of the more patient hitters we have.  He's one of the few guys we have where his OBP isn't propped up by his batting average.  There's always about .100 points of separation between the average and the OBP.  Also, I'm pretty sure he sees more pitches per at bat than anyone on the team.

That sucks if he's going to hit .210 but not bad if he's going to hit .250-.260.  

I'm not terribly opposed to the idea as we don't have a real traditional leadoff hitter with speed type on the roster.  Probably won't until Mullins comes up.  

I'm not sure what Chris Davis we'll get this year, I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.  If batting him leadoff turns out to be something that works, well cheers and a tip of the cap to Buck.  Nothing wrong with trying.

I am all for it. Like you said the team does not have a traditional lead off hitter 

The fact that Davis will lead off could possibly take some pressure off. He will not have to worry about driving in runs right away. It could relax him some. 

16 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Besides batting in the first inning, getting more at bats will correlate to getting more at bats with runners on base. If there is a runner on base in half of the non-first inning at bats, then 50 more at bats means 25 more chances to whiff with runners on.

Nobody ever said anything about runners in scoring position.

Obviously it is dependent upon each team to an extent. In 1996 Brady Anderson had 45 fewer PA’s than Palmeiro but had 108 fewer PA’s with ROB.  Anderson who hit leadoff about 70% of the time ranked 5th with PA’s with ROB.  

BJ Surhoff had 97 fewer PA’s but only 1 less PA with ROB. The bulk of his at bats were 5-7. 

On this team the bottom of the order will not be getting on base much. 

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

You are thinking of Tillman here.

If they both perform similarly to how they did last year, at least Davis will OPS @ .800 with 30HRs and play ok defense. The contract is a sunk cost. Meanwhile, there's a good chance that Tillman will have nothing positive to say about his performance.

Last year Davis hit 26 HR and posted a .732 OPS with a -0.1rWAR. He killed the offense last year. If that guy shows up again we're in big trouble.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisch02.shtml

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

And you have grasped it because you’re psychic?

Most of us are realists, who realize that there’s a wide range of possible outcomes for Davis.   He could be as bad as last year or worse.    Or, he could be considerably better.    But you don’t seem to grasp that the worst outcome isn’t always the one that occurs.    We all know it could happen.   

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Last year Davis hit 26 HR and posted a .732 OPS with a -0.1rWAR. He killed the offense last year. If that guy shows up again we're in big trouble.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisch02.shtml

Worse than I remember but nowhere near as bad as Tillman. Tillman was one of the worst players in the entire major league.

If Davis his leadoff he will have more at bats with fewer ROB than if he hit 5th or 6th. 

It isn’t like we have a high OBP guy sitting around we refuse to use. Why not try it?

In 2016 he was 3rd on the team in OBP, behind Kim and Manny. 

It’s not like you are locked into this the entire season. 

o

Chris Davis is indeed leading off to start the Orioles' 2018 season ........

BALTIMORE O RIOLES ))))) (vs. TWINS, 3/29)  )))) [OPENING DAY] 

Chris Davis - 1B

Manny Machado - SS

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Adam Jones - CF

Trey Mancini - LF

Tim Beckham - 3B

Pedro Alvarez - DH

Craig Gentry - RF

Caleb Joseph - C

Dylan Matthew Bundy - RHP )) (13-9, 4.24 ERA)

OPPOSINPITCHER

Jacob Todd Odorizzi - RHP )) (10-8, 4.14 ERA) ) * 

* )) (11-11, 3.40 ERA) OOO [TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS]

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

On 3/25/2018 at 12:19 PM, Frobby said:

And you have grasped it because you’re psychic?

Most of us are realists, who realize that there’s a wide range of possible outcomes for Davis.   He could be as bad as last year or worse.    Or, he could be considerably better.    But you don’t seem to grasp that the worst outcome isn’t always the one that occurs.    We all know it could happen.   

The Orioles need a good year from Davis. Looking at the lineup today it  is not that impressive for the Orioles. Davis has a good year and Trumbo comes back and has a better year would help.

Archived