Game 3: What went right, what went wrong

Moose Milligan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Gosh I hope so...I would prefer to see Hays here for one, but sure that time is coming. Mancini gets on base, he makes more sense at the top, but it would be interesting to do a poll. I’d go with Beckham. 

Why Beckham? Tries to hit a homer on every pitch with no plate discipline.He was either fourteen or fifteen in the majors in strikeouts last year.Rays wanted him to not try for the long ball all the time and he never changed so they parted company.

23 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Was Dozier bellyaching about the bunt post-game? If he was then that is beyond stupid.

He and Berrios both were.  They said they would have taken it up with him on the field except they felt like they could count on the Orioles veteran leadership to take care of it.

I call BS.  First, I understand there are unwritten rules, but do they extend to 1-hitters now?  I can roll with the old school don't bunt to break up a no-hitter unwritten rule, but one-hitters aren't that precious in my book.

Second, if there is an unwritten rule, it would be that in those situations you play me straight up and I'll play you straight up.  I think when you put on the shift on, you waive your right to any unwritten rule.

Just my $0.02.  I would rather certain members of our veteran leadership take Sisco's lead against the shift than to set him straight.

32 minutes ago, Drifter said:

My take on CD batting leadoff: Borderline silly, panic move.  

Over the last couple of years, CD has had VERY little confidence at the plate. This should have happened during the season if he had struggled (and we were trying it for a game or two), not at the beginning. Fortunately, its not too late to fix it and move on. 

They are trying to get him more fastballs. 

16 minutes ago, cosgrove said:

He and Berrios both were.  They said they would have taken it up with him on the field except they felt like they could count on the Orioles veteran leadership to take care of it.

I call BS.  First, I understand there are unwritten rules, but do they extend to 1-hitters now?  I can roll with the old school don't bunt to break up a no-hitter unwritten rule, but one-hitters aren't that precious in my book.

Second, if there is an unwritten rule, it would be that in those situations you play me straight up and I'll play you straight up.  I think when you put on the shift on, you waive your right to any unwritten rule.

Just my $0.02.  I would rather certain members of our veteran leadership take Sisco's lead against the shift than to set him straight.

It is the baseball equivalent of a blitz. 

11 hours ago, cosgrove said:

Not just your $.02.  Public opinion is decidedly against the Twins here.

https://sports.yahoo.com/twins-completely-overreact-orioles-bunting-beat-shift-one-hitter-225336945.html

I basically agree with your take.  If you put the shift on then that signals to me/my team that you guys are still tryharding, so I'm allowed to tryhard.  That doesn't even begin to touch the arguments about making up unwritten rules as you go.

13 hours ago, cosgrove said:

It's a very simple explanation to Berrios and the Twins: If you don't want the Orioles to do everything they can to win, then they should stop trying as well.  If they don't want you to bunt against the shift, then don't shift.  If you want to have Molitor come over to Buck and suggest that when it's 7-0 the game is really over and we should just try to move things along by hitting weak grounders... well, then give that a try.

The next time they play the Twins I'd drop a bunt every single time they put on the shift.  And then put a message on the scoreboard to the effect of "Our unwritten rule is to try hard until the 27th out is recorded."

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's a very simple explanation to Berrios and the Twins: If you don't want the Orioles to do everything they can to win, then they should stop trying as well.  If they don't want you to bunt against the shift, then don't shift.  If you want to have Molitor come over to Buck and suggest that when it's 7-0 the game is really over and we should just try to move things along by hitting weak grounders... well, then give that a try.

The next time they play the Twins I'd drop a bunt every single time they put on the shift.  And then put a message on the scoreboard to the effect of "Our unwritten rule is to try hard until the 27th out is recorded."

Honestly this whole situation smells of guys who really don't understand the "unwritten rules" of baseball. The second you shift, you give up any complaints about bunting. I'm sorry, but if you put an extra guy trying to stop you from hitting to your natural side and then he puts the ball where you should have been playing that's nothing but good baseball. You can't try for an advantage then complain with your opponent takes advantage of it.

This whole "We would have taken it up on the field thing" is ridiculous. And do what tough guys? Give Sisco a dirty look? Say a couple of angry words. If I was Sisco I'd look at them and say, "You shift on me again, I'll bunt again." 

I'm a big "unwritten rule" guy. Perhaps a new unwritten rule in this age of the game is "As soon as you shift, the unwritten rules of bunting no longer exist."

Archived