Is it time to bring in a "Davis Whisperer"?

FanSince88

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, interloper said:

You gotta do something with him. 

What have other teams done in this situation?

Philly lived with Ryan Howard's decreased production into the last year of his contract.

He had between 292 and 648 plate appearances each of his last 5 years, 4 of which his OPS was 96 or less.

16 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Hit the ball hard once tonight. Only got a single out of it, but he hit one hard. Baby steps.

Just barely cleared the glove of 2B playing in RF. It would be nice to see Davis use the whole field instead of pulling everything. 

22 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Interesting thought! I remember raising concerns that he was going to burn himself out on stimulants a few years ago. Adderall with tobacco on top of it and probably the addition of caffeine will leave your adrenal gland flat as a pancake in most cases. But I really have no idea about Davis' habits. He could have quit all that stuff. It also could have absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Rod Carew, Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, George Brett. 

What bad habit did these great hitters all have in common? Davis gave that up and stopped hitting. Just sayin'...

3 hours ago, Natty said:

What bad habit did these great hitters all have in common? Davis gave that up and stopped hitting. Just sayin'...

They didn't strike out very often and they hit the ball where it was pitched.   If they played Davis shift against Carew e would have hit .500

On 4/5/2018 at 12:38 PM, Frobby said:

He did not go to the opposite field more in his better years.    

2013 - 23.0%

2015 - 17.6%

2017 - 21.9%

What he did do, IMO, was hit the ball with authority the other way more often than he does now.   And that’s a function of bat speed — he could wait and still generate enough bat speed to hit the ball out.    Now if he waits, he either whiffs or doesn’t hit the ball with authority.   

I tried to find an old thread on this but couldn't. I believe you are right about hitting with authority but what I remember from that thread was about integrity of the swing and working with Pressley. Both Davis and Pressley came In. 2011, Chris midyear. By late 2012 Chris was still struggling and Pressley suggested working less in the cage, where Chris was wearing himself out. Instead he had Chris hit off a tee like Tee ball and he started driving balls the other way. He got locked in and got hot the end of 2012 and had a great 2013. In 2014 he got hurt early, lat in think, didn't have a TUE, and got suspended. After that year Pressley left for personal reasons. Chris had a big 2015 on a new TUE but has been pull happy since then. IMO he needs to commit to the swing and drive it where it is pitched, keep the shoulder closed, and stop trying to pull and uppercut everything. They could always get him down and in because he wouldn' lay off. Now he looks lost and really doesn't commit to the swing. My 2 cents from a likely faulty memory.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:21 PM, Natty said:

Davis was a pretty awful hitter last year with tobacco. The law of diminishing returns is what I was getting at. One can only floor it for so long before the engine blows.

Archived