Home plate ump today

Frobby

Just awful.    Per pitch f/x, Sonny Gray had five called strikes outside the strike zone, and three pitches called balls inside the strike zone.  

The guy who really got hosed IMO was Yacobonis.     Gardner leads off and here’s the sequence.   Final pitch is clearly strike 3 and the ump calls it a ball.

numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=642231&game=

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyway, it was very frustrating day with the ump. I’m not blaming him for the loss, but he sure didn’t help.  

o

The lesser of two evils ......... better to have the umpire(s) suck in a game that the Orioles likely would have lost anyway than to have them do so in a more crucial game/situation, such as last night's 14-inning affair. That was a game in which a blatantly bad call could have cost either team the W.

o

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyway, very frustrating day with the ump.    I’m not blaming him for the loss, but he sure didn’t help.  

Yeah, we probably still lose but at least we'd have a chance.

I am a big supporter of Robo Ump.

By the way, YES has a nifty feature this year that overlays a square right live right about home plate instead of a separate graphic to the side. At first I found it distracting but liked it as I got used to it. You can see exactly where the ball ends up without having to rely on PitchFX's sensors.

Archived