Corban Joseph at 2B

wildcard

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought there was Corban Joseph talk to come up like 2 years ago?  A good org guy. Might be a good chance to see him rather the Vielma.  You never know where you’re going to get that David Newhan type of performance. 

Is it worth a 40 man roster spot to find out?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Bigger item to me: Harvey didn't sound all that great.

I guess you mean that he let the first batter of the game that he hit score after inactivity for over a week?  I can understand that confusion. 

You should have watched his bullpen. It was a work of art. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it worth a 40 man roster spot to find out?

Can a team that paid Chris Tillman $3 million to find out if he sucks as bad as he had for the last year+ (he does) not afford to give an open roster spot to a guy who has played in the minors for 10 years and finally had a good game?

What if he comes up and hits better than Chris Davis? I guess that would be a little embarrassing.

Well, sure, this is a reactionary thread, and I agree there are a lot of comments on this board that react prematurely and and over-dramatically to a bating slump, or a blown safe, or a couple of fielding gaffes.

But in this case reaction is a good thing, IMO. Schoop will be out for a while. I don't think much of the solutions on the 25-man roster, which involve putting some combination of Valencia, Alvarez and Davis  (assuming he's not injured) at 3B on a team that's already pretty shabby defensively. So I welcome a reaction that would bring in some help at either 2B or 3B. I don't know much about Joseph; it seems like he's been around forever, and I can't recall reading or hearing that he was a potential MLer. But I'd like to see the Orioles try something that keeps that trio off third base. -- which, with the shifting that's involved, is a more challenging defensive position than it was when each of them was deemed incapable of playing there. 

Joseph has previous MLB time with the...New York team.

He is like Little Yaz. Will put up a good display on minor league pitchers and can help those teams, but not on the radar.

Top ceiling would be a 40 spot and call up for a few days due to an injury, kind of in a "thank you" display. Similar to what we might see with Rosa at some point in the next 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Harvey was fantastic. The gun had him at 99 on a pitch. I was there. He was magnificent. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I guess you mean that he let the first batter of the game that he hit score after inactivity for over a week?  I can understand that confusion. 

You should have watched his bullpen. It was a work of art. 

So elaborate a little bit here, weams.     He hit 99, but where was he sitting?   How’d the offspeed stuff and command look?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So elaborate a little bit here, weams.     He hit 99, but where was he sitting?   How’d the offspeed stuff and command look?

Sitting 96 MPH.  Nice swing and miss stuff. pounded the strike zone. Curveball at 83. Change up or split pitch. Induce ground balls. Only one hard hit fly ball. Very confident and worked quickly. Great bullpen session I watched from seven feet away. 

Just now, weams said:

Sitting 96 MPH.  Nice swing and miss stuff. pounded the strike zone. Curveball at 83. Change up or split pitch. Induce ground balls. Only one hard hit fly ball. Very confident and worked quickly. Great bullpen session I watched from seven feet away. 

Looked like a lot of spin to the breaking pitches. I have no data for that. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Only one pitch was at 99 MPH. AKIN was at 87 the night before and Adam Pohl said it was a terribly slow gun. When we spoke with him yesterday he said it seemed to be more true. 

Just now, weams said:

Only one pitch was at 99 MPH. AKIN was at 87 the night before and Adam Pohl said it was a terribly slow gun. When we spoke with him yesterday he said it seemed to be more true. 

Great.  I’m hoping Tony, Luke or Chris Slade will have a look at the tape and give their opinions.  

Archived