Orioles fans wonder why Camden Yards' lineup doesn't include Wi-Fi

Going Underground

I am more worried that the Camden Yards lineup does not include Hit-FI. But as Buck said in his post game interview that the Orioles started hitting when the temperature hit 40 degrees later in the game. So like water bolling.we now know when the Oriole hitters will start pounding the baseball. I learn something everyday. 40+ Oriole hitters= homers+.

Both were relying on their cellular data networks, rather than on Wi-Fi. Even as nearly every other Major League Baseball club promotes free Wi-Fi, Camden Yards is one of the last without a similar service to let fans connect with the internet on their smartphones.

In 2012, Major League Baseball formed a consortium with its technology partners to help the sport with its Wi-Fi and other high-tech communication services at stadiums around the country. While it confirmed the consortium last week, MLB declined to say who paid for the Wi-Fi.

Participation by the clubs was optional, but about 20 signed up — two-thirds of the American and National leagues — and most of the rest have secured deals in recent years to get Wi-Fi on their own.

At Nationals Park in Washington — the closest major league stadium to Camden Yards — spectators look for “Nationals Park Fans” in their phone’s wireless settings and don’t need a username or password to log in for free.

Installing stadium Wi-Fi can cost from hundreds of thousands of dollars to well over $1 million, Giordano said.

And it’s more complicated, he said, when the system must be retrofitted — as at Camden Yards — rather than placed inside a stadium under construction. The contractor must not only create effective Wi-Fi but ensure the equipment does not diminish the look of the stadium.

“In Camden Yards’ defense, it’s much better to do it right,” he said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-orioles-no-wifi-20180412-story.html

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Don't see the need for Wifi.  Its not like the ballpark isn't covered by cellular.  

It's not covered well.  Very slow.  Too many people trying to use too little bandwidth.

I want to a couple games by myself last year and tried to get on the OH game thread between innings and it was not always easy.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's not covered well.  Very slow.  Too many people trying to use too little bandwidth.

I want to a couple games by myself last year and tried to get on the OH game thread between innings and it was not always easy.

I have used it for texting to tell people where we were sitting and it worked fine.  You don't think the Wifi will be slow when people are streaming netflix from their seats?

Could the lack of free Wi-Fi be hurting ticket sales to the point where the loss is greater than the cost of installing the Wi-Fi?  I mostly thinking about families with kids.  I imagine it is a lot easier to get kids to sit through a 3 hour game if they have their phones/tablets.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Could the lack of free Wi-Fi be hurting ticket sales to the point where the loss is greater than the cost of installing the Wi-Fi?  I mostly thinking about families with kids.  I imagine it is a lot easier to get kids to sit through a 3 hour game if they have their phones/tablets.

Then why even bring the kids to the game if they are going to be on their tablets and phones the whole time. Tablets don't require wifi to work.  Also giving a tablet or phone to a child when they are at an event seems like a bad way to raise your children.  I certainly would never do that.  If they find baseball to boring to sit through what happens when they go to school?

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Then why even bring the kids to the game if they are going to be on their tablets and phones the whole time. Tablets don't require wifi to work.  Also giving a tablet or phone to a child when they are at an event seems like a bad way to raise your children.  I certainly would never do that.  If they find baseball to boring to sit through what happens when they go to school?

Being at many games ,trust me it is not only the kids on the phone all game. Some people seem to go to the game to get up every inning to get something to eat and then play on their phone.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I don't have kids so folks with experience can chime in.

I will say it is a bit unreasonable to expect a younger child to sit patiently and be enthralled with a three hour game of baseball.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't have kids so folks with experience can chime in.

I will say it is a bit unreasonable to expect a younger child to sit patiently and be enthralled with a three hour game of baseball.

We walk around.  Get an ice cream.  Go to the gift shop etc.  I am not going to pay all that money to go to the game and have my daughter on a tablet.  Seems pretty pointless. 

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

I have used it for texting to tell people where we were sitting and it worked fine.  You don't think the Wifi will be slow when people are streaming netflix from their seats?

The Nats Park wifi seems to handle the load just fine.

And texting is by far the lowest bandwidth.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

We walk around.  Get an ice cream.  Go to the gift shop etc.  I am not going to pay all that money to go to the game and have my daughter on a tablet.  Seems pretty pointless. 

Agreed, but that’s your choice.   Some other people might feel differently.    I personally don’t care about this, but it would be a nice amenity for those who want it.

On a trip to Washington with my girlfriend last year we went to a Mariners game for my birthday, and I can tell you right now one thing that Safeco had over Camden Yards was free WiFi throughout the stadium.  Not only did they offer it, but it was pretty solid overall and I didn't run into much issues.  I know Seattle is pretty progressive on a lot of things, but there is no reason in 2018 that all ballparks do not at least have the option for it.  Considering the amount of time people spend on their phones, which they do just as much if not more of at ballgames with family and friends, plus all of the in-game social media stuff, it is ridiculous that Camden Yards doesn't at least offer it.  Trying to do anything on data with even a half sold out stadium is a frustrating slog.

Archived