Worst start since 2010

Aglets

So obviously we are scuffling right now, but if anyone starts trying to be really melodramatic about the worst O's teams ever......people will point to the 0-21 start 30 years ago (Happy Anniversary?).

So I got curious to see when was the last time we started off this poorly.

In 2010 we started off 3-16.  This was the year where Trembley got fired, Juan Samuel came in and got fired, and ultimately Buck came in to right the ship.......sort of.   We were in the playoffs two years later.

Interestingly enough, we started off the exact same way (5-14) in 1999.........and we finished 78-84 that year with a positive run differential.   Little did we know that was just at the beginning of the 14 Years of Darkness (tm).

Point being, it's impossible to exactly know where we go from here, and Buck did turn things around for us at least once before.   And on that 2010 team our best hitters were Luke Scott and Nick Markakis........our best SP was Jeremy Guthrie.   Oh and Chris Tillman was here and still kinda sucked (he had 11 starts).  :P

9 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So obviously we are scuffling right now, but if anyone starts trying to be really melodramatic about the worst O's teams ever......people will point to the 0-21 start 30 years ago (Happy Anniversary?).

In 2010 we started off 3-16.  This was the year where Trembley got fired, Juan Samuel came in and got fired, and ultimately Buck came in to right the ship.......sort of.   We were in the playoffs two years later.

Interestingly enough, we started off the exact same way (5-14) in 1999.........and we finished 78-84 that year with a positive run differential.   Little did we know that was just at the beginning of the 14 Years of Darkness (tm).

Point being, it's impossible to exactly know where we go from here, and Buck did turn things around for us at least once before.   And on that 2010 team our best hitters were Luke Scott and Nick Markakis........our best SP was Jeremy Guthrie.   Oh and Chris Tillman was here and still kinda sucked (he had 11 starts).  :P

I am not sure what 2010 roster had to do with Buck righting the ship.   The 2011 team was terrible under Buck. It wasn't until DD came in and the Team got a new pitching staff that the team improved.   Chen,  Gonzalez and Hammel.   And DD brought in someone to help Tillman with his mechanics.  All Buck did was bring in pitching coach who messed up Arrieta

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what 2010 roster had to do with Buck righting the ship.   The 2011 team was terrible under Buck. It wasn't until DD came in and the Team got a new pitching staff that the team improved.   Chen,  Gonzalez and Hammel.   And DD brought in someone to help Tillman with his mechanics.  All Buck did was bring in pitching coach who messed up Arrieta

If you look at what happened under Trembley, under Samuel, and then under Buck..........it's pretty clear.  Probably not willing to debate it just fyi.   Agree that the 2011 team was not great, which is why I qualified my statement a bit.  It was all on the rotation in 2011, plus they brought in guys like Derrek Lee and the corpse of Vlad Guerrero....not sure if that's more on MacPhail or Buck.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Good post.  For those looking for hope, the 2002 Angels started 6-14 and won the World Series.  On top of that, they ended 2001 by going 2-19.

BTW, I think it’s highly unlikely that the Orioles even have a winning record.  

In theory, if Cobb can get going - and Bundy, Cashner, and Gausman keep doing their thing - this is a team that could win 2 out of 3 on a regular basis. But, they gotta start doing that like...yesterday. If they don't at least split this series with Cleveland, they're done-zo.

Bundy looks really good, but how long can he continue?   It's likely that Cashner regresses towards his 5.59 FIP.  Gausman has a 6.04 FIP and giving up a ton of baserunners.

Cobb has to get better at some point in time.  Let's hope he's not in the "over age 30 rapid decline brotherhood".

We really have 1 dependable starter.  At least he's the young one.

This is just not a TEAM IMO, just a bunch of individual pieces going out and playing, little joy involved.  Too many lame duck players/manager/GM. There was absolutely no reason to move Manny to SS. Did they think we'll make him happy and he''ll sign with us? They should have traded him last year or during the off season. IMO there just seems to be no team leadership or chemistry. Of course winning builds chemistry, but if you don't win, well Catch-22. I'd rather lose 100 watching some new young faces, than 90 with the current faces. Go for a top 3 draft pick.

19 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

This is just not a TEAM IMO, just a bunch of individual pieces going out and playing, little joy involved.  Too many lame duck players/manager/GM. There was absolutely no reason to move Manny to SS. Did they think we'll make him happy and he''ll sign with us? They should have traded him last year or during the off season. IMO there just seems to be no team leadership or chemistry. Of course winning builds chemistry, but if you don't win, well Catch-22. I'd rather lose 100 watching some new young faces, than 90 with the current faces. Go for a top 3 draft pick.

Agreed. Its past time to rebuild. I would really enjoy watching this season if my Outfield was Stewart, Mullins and Hays. Mancini at first. Sisco the everyday catcher. Play the kids and cut your losses.

2010 is the year they lost tge second or third game in a terrible manner (like blown lead in the 9th).  I turned to my wife (then girlfriend) and said I bet they lose 15 in a row.  They did not prove men wrong.

That team was lost and needed a new direction.  This team looks a lot like that one...just lost.

3 hours ago, btownoriole said:

Good post.  For those looking for hope, the 2002 Angels started 6-14 and won the World Series.  On top of that, they ended 2001 by going 2-19.

BTW, I think it’s highly unlikely that the Orioles even have a winning record.  

That sure would be a sweet hot streak to ride huh. B|

Archived