A.J. Cole DFA by Nats; the O’s should claim him

Frobby

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is funny.  A team like Cincinnati?  Orioles aren't too far from them.  We might have some more household names but the results are almost as crappy.

I think the point is that the Reds have first crack at Cole.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cole had a 3.81 ERA last year in 8 starts and 3 relief appearances.   That’s more than Wright has done. And he’s younger.    I definitely consider him an upgrade, though still one with a risk of failure.    

1.50 WHIP,   975 OPS vs lefties.   5.32 career ERA.with a 1.509 Career WHIP. 

I'd rather use Castro in long relief and use Hart/Edgin/Scott as the 2nd lefty reliever.  Once Cobb, Bundy, Gausman and Cashner settle in the pen will not be overused as much.

Thank god the Nats cut him! I am just hearing this bc been in Italy for work. 

He was a train wreck. Having said that...Rizzo thought enough of him to get him back after trading him. I don’t see it and personally I think Wright is better than Cole but who knows. He was getting klobbered is all I know.

18 hours ago, DRJacobs said:

Have you actually seen this guy pitch or do you ask this of every pitcher DFA-ed?

I don’t know if I’ve ever started another thread suggesting we pick up another team’s DFA guy.    Usually, I know nothing about them.   I live in the DC area so I know a little about Cole.    I’m not sure if I’ve seen him pitch, though, because I don’t watch the Nats that much.   I just think he may be a guy who needs a change of scenery, and he really can’t do worse than Wright or Tillman.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know if I’ve ever started another thread suggesting we pick up another team’s DFA guy.    Usually, I know nothing about them.   I live in the DC area so I know a little about Cole.    I’m not sure if I’ve seen him pitch, though, because I don’t watch the Nats that much.   I just think he may be a guy who needs a change of scenery, and he really can’t do worse than Wright or Tillman.   

Tillman looked better to me this last outing.  5 innings, 2 runs.  Then he got passed his effectiveness and allows 2 in the 6th.   He seemed to have more command getting behind the pitches instead on just throwing frisbees up there.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

DRJacobs has unveiled the wildest OH mind blower of all time: Frobby and Sportsguy are the same person! All these years and we never figured it out!! I'm calling M. Night Shyamalan right now! This has the makings of another classic, multiple personality reveal. 

Is this DFA of Cole just a move to trade him? Like he can only be claimed "for free" if the Nats don't trade him within 10 days, correct? 

I do think Cole will get scooped before he would get to the O's. I think the O's should trade for him. He's definitely a change of scenery candidate.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Tillman looked better to me this last outing.  5 innings, 2 runs.  Then he got passed his effectiveness and allows 2 in the 6th.   He seemed to have more command getting behind the pitches instead on just throwing frisbees up there.

I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I would give Tillman more time.

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

Is this DFA of Cole just a move to trade him? Like he can only be claimed "for free" if the Nats don't trade him within 10 days, correct? 

I do think Cole will get scooped before he would get to the O's. I think the O's should trade for him. He's definitely a change of scenery candidate.

Just out of curiousity, why do you think that? He has been with the Nats and A’s and Nats again.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Just out of curiousity, why do you think that? He has been with the Nats and A’s and Nats again.

I think Cole will get scooped by a team like Cincy or Pittsburgh for the following reasons:

+ They're rebuilding

+ Cole's minor league numbers are solid -- https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/coleaj01.shtml

+ Cole has a 1st round pedigree (even though he wasn't drafted until the 4th... he dropped because of signability)

+ He's 6-5 and only 26. Someone might try him as a reliever. 

9 hours ago, jtschrei said:

I think Cole will get scooped by a team like Cincy or Pittsburgh for the following reasons:

+ They're rebuilding

+ Cole's minor league numbers are solid -- https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/coleaj01.shtml

+ Cole has a 1st round pedigree (even though he wasn't drafted until the 4th... he dropped because of signability)

+ He's 6-5 and only 26. Someone might try him as a reliever. 

Yankees get Cole for cash considerations.

Archived