Could Tim Melville allow the O's to DFA Mike Wright?

wildcard

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

15 BB in 14 innings of MLB experience. Seems like he would do an excellent job of replacing Wright.

You would really judge Melville on his first 14 innings in the majors?   He is no world beater but as a 6th starter  he looks better than Wright to me.

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

28 year old Mike Wright is still on the O's 25 man roster.    That is in spite of an 8.49 ERA and a 1.89 WHIP in his 4 outings.    Why?   He is out of options and has to put on waiver to get him off the O's major league roster.   Wright is one of the few pitchers with starting experience that could step in for Tillman if he crashes and burns.   

But now 28  year old Tim Melville  is making some noise a AAA.   He now  is 2-0 with a 1.65 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.   In his 2 starts he has gone 6 innings and 5.1 innings allowing one run in 11.1 innings.  Last year Melville  started 12 games at AAA with a 2.95 ERA.    He has started 3 games and one relief appearance in his major league career covering 14.2 innings  with an ERA of 11.05.   His experience  is a lot like Wright's in  having success a AAA but that not translating to the majors.  However Melville's major league experience is minimal.  

So with Melville pitching well at AAA does that give the O's the confidence to DFA'd Wright and try to get him through waivers or possible lose him to another team?   This is not to say the Melville as to be promoted to the majors.   Just that is could be a option that allows the O's to DFA Wright.   Melville has options.

Hess is not allowing runs at AAA but is also not going deep in games because of a high pitch counts.    Ramirez last two starts have not been good. Yacabonis had a good start but  its too early to know if he can repeat it.   Aquino had a good start but he has been very inconsistent over the last year.     Melville seems to have stepped to the head of the O's AAA pitching class.

Hess is being held to a pitch count, presumably to keep him fresh for possible bullpen call ups.  His last start was 2.2 IP on 69 pitches.  That’s high for sure, but he could’ve gone further.  Looking at his BR game logs, he’s pitched 65, 80, and 69 pitch games.  Last year he was routinely between 85 and 105.   

10 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Hess is being held to a pitch count, presumably to keep him fresh for possible bullpen call ups.  His last start was 2.2 IP on 69 pitches.  That’s high for sure, but he could’ve gone further.  Looking at his BR game logs, he’s pitched 65, 80, and 69 pitch games.  Last year he was routinely between 85 and 105.   

If he doesn't get his pitches per inning down I don't see him getting promoted.  69 pitches in 2.2 IP.      80 pitches in 4 innings.  That doesn't spell promotion to me.

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Brady says you will have to pry Wright from his cold dead hands. 

I don't see Wright being with the team that much longer.  However, I don't think its too absurd that Wright has been with the team this long.  He's got tools and we have no depth.  He may even pass through waivers at this point, and we'll still keep him because he's depth for a team with no depth.  

Now if Brady signed him to a 5 year extension, then it becomes absurd and we have to start asking some tougher questions.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You would really judge Melville on his first 14 innings in the majors?   He is no world beater but as a 6th starter  he looks better than Wright to me.

The premise of the thread is to judge him based on the most recent 11 innings of AAA experience. His overall minors BB/9 is over 4. Wright's minors BB/9 is about half that with the same 7-ish K/9. I do not see anything to like here more than Mike Wright. 

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

28 year old Mike Wright is still on the O's 25 man roster.    That is in spite of an 8.49 ERA and a 1.89 WHIP in his 4 outings.    Why?   He is out of options and has to put on waiver to get him off the O's major league roster.   Wright is one of the few pitchers with starting experience that could step in for Tillman if he crashes and burns.   

But now 28  year old Tim Melville  is making some noise a AAA.   He now  is 2-0 with a 1.65 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.   In his 2 starts he has gone 6 innings and 5.1 innings allowing one run in 11.1 innings.  Last year Melville  started 12 games at AAA with a 2.95 ERA.    He has started 3 games and one relief appearance in his major league career covering 14.2 innings  with an ERA of 11.05.   His experience  is a lot like Wright's in  having success a AAA but that not translating to the majors.  However Melville's major league experience is minimal.  

So with Melville pitching well at AAA does that give the O's the confidence to DFA'd Wright and try to get him through waivers or possible lose him to another team?   This is not to say the Melville as to be promoted to the majors.   Just that is could be a option that allows the O's to DFA Wright.   Melville has options.

Hess is not allowing runs at AAA but is also not going deep in games because of a high pitch counts.    Ramirez last two starts have not been good. Yacabonis had a good start but  its too early to know if he can repeat it.   Aquino had a good start but he has been very inconsistent over the last year.     Melville seems to have stepped to the head of the O's AAA pitching class.

They’ve each made what, three starts?    It means very little.    In any event I’m in no rush to see Hess up here.     He should get a minimum of 15 AAA starts before we call him up.    Melville vs. Wright = rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.    I don’t care if they switch them out or not; it hardly matters.   

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Do the O's have any other minor league starter that is ready and better?   Is Wright?

I'd like to see them give Hess a shot. I still think he will end up a reliever, but I'll take him getting starts instead of Tillman or long relief instead of Wright.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’ve each made what, three starts?    It means very little.    In any event I’m in no rush to see Hess up here.     He should get a minimum of 15 AAA starts before we call him up.    Melville vs. Wright = rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.    I don’t care if they switch them out or not; it hardly matters.   

I never said call up Melville to replace Wright.   I said the presence of Melville pitching well at AAA could allow the O's to DFA Wright.  The reason to DFA Wright to get back to 12 pitchers and add a  position player to the team to help the offense.  I would promote  Rickard, let he leadoff and  play right field.

This ship’s hull is breached in multiple locations. Wright Hess. Who cares. This team doesn’t hit field or pitch well enough to be successful. It’s not a move or two or 10 away. The window seemed to open the night in 2011 we killed the Red Sox with the great Andino. The window seemed to slam shut the night Trumbo took a pie and got pissed. 

The dugout is different. Everything is different. Hopefully something changes and soon but there are very few things going well. Worrying about Mike Wright seems comical. 

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd like to see them give Hess a shot. I still think he will end up a reliever, but I'll take him getting starts instead of Tillman or long relief instead of Wright.

IMO Tillman is improving.   His command was better in this last outing.  He went 5 innings and gave up 2 runs.  Then, of course, Buck had to push him to go 6 innings and the gave up 2 more runs.    

I don't think Hess is ready for a call up at this point.  Let him pitch at AAA for a while.

Archived