OPCY Future Renovations: Thoughts and Ideas

fansince1988

There was discussion a few years regarding a large scale renovation of Camden Yards in the coming years. This chatter seems to have subsided, aside from renovations to the warehouse. After attending nearly 200 games at Camden Yards, here are my ideas for what I'd like to see:

• Remove all of the seats in the left field upper deck and make that entire area a social/standing room area with a brand new wide screen scoreboard as the backdrop, ie the Scoreboard Pavilion
  • Move the left field fence back at least ten feet
  • Create a grassy berm in left field beyond the fence and make that entire area alcohol free and for families and kids only
  • Open the Concourses in the remainder of the upper deck and lower deck seating bowls to create more standing room

What would you like to see if and when they renovate?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

There was discussion a few years regarding a large scale renovation of Camden Yards in the coming years. This chatter seems to have subsided, aside from renovations to the warehouse. After attending nearly 200 games at Camden Yards, here are my ideas for what I'd like to see:

• Remove all of the seats in the left field upper deck and make that entire area a social/standing room area with a brand new wide screen scoreboard as the backdrop, ie the Scoreboard Pavilion
  • Move the left field fence back at least ten feet
  • Create a grassy berm in left field beyond the fence and make that entire area alcohol free and for families and kids only
  • Open the Concourses in the remainder of the upper deck and lower deck seating bowls to create more standing room

What would you like to see if and when they renovate?

Your ideas are very creative.    That would be very interesting.    

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your ideas are very creative.    That would be very interesting.    

Not sure what happened with this.  I would send your ideas to the Stadium Authority.

The latest stadiums incorporate design elements — such as open concourses commanding views of the game — that Camden Yards lacks. Many also include stadium clubs for VIPs that offer prime, low-level field views.

Team officials have talked informally with the authority about the possibility of removing terrace box seats to open up field views, he said.

"We really haven't done a deep dive on what that might cost," Frenz said. "I think it would be depending on the scope."

There is no timetable for Camden Yards upgrades, and none are imminent. The club's original stadium lease expires in 2021 and provides the Orioles an option to extend for five years.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-camden-yards-future-20150824-story.html

I love PNC for its open concourse but I don't know how feasible that is structurally at CY.  Open concourses are raised up more and I don't know how many seats they would have to remove to do it.  CY is not Fenway and for that I am happy, but that is the one missing thing there.

I think it would be cool to make the picnic area a raised burn lawn.  That would be very different.

Only move I would make is to move back the fences. It's hard to win consistently in an extreme hitter's ballpark unless you have an absurd budget to work with like the Red Sox do. People wonder why every pitcher the Orioles bring up struggles when they come up. Imagine being a young pitcher and having to pitch in that bandbox against AL East competition. It feels like there is no room for error. 

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Only move I would make is to move back the fences. It's hard to win consistently in an extreme hitter's ballpark unless you have an absurd budget to work with like the Red Sox do. People wonder why every pitcher the Orioles bring up struggles when they come up. Imagine being a young pitcher and having to pitch in that bandbox against AL East competition. It feels like there is no room for error. 

Sorry  but I don't buy that. 

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Fences moved out and eliminate about 6 to 8 thousand seats to make fan/family friendly picnic zones

It's a baseball park. Not a picnic area. They will need those 6000 or so when the O's become good again. May not be in my lifetime though. 

Archived