How do Davis, Alvarez and Trumbo coexist on the roster?

wildcard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a weird world.  Out of Cruz, Trumbo, Alvarez, Davis, we spent the most on the two that seem to have lost it.  We thought Cruz would be the bust and he wasn't.  On the other hand...what a weird situation Alvarez is.  Decent season in 2016, highest career OPS, 22 HRs.  2017, barely plays in the majors, costs very little.  2018, costs very little, somehow ends up on MLB Roster, and does pretty well when in lineup.  

I don't know what Buck should do.  Its going to be down to "luck" no matter how we slice it.  Theres a lot of flexibility with Mancini, Trumbo,  Alvarez, and Davis and theres 5 lineup spots total. In the long term it won't matter too much if Davis is at 3B while folks recover.  We aren't a playoff team.  I think Buck will just try to ride whichever subset is hottest and when its right we will be happy and when its wrong we will piss and moan.  

Jones' legs might fall off if our OF is Jones, Trey, Trumbo everyday :)

14 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Completely upside down roster. The highest paid players contribute the least. They need to find an injury to place Davis on the 60 day DL. Pedro Alvarez has probably contributed more WAR in a month than Davis will provide for the season.

Oh jesus I just really thought about that WAR part and its entirely possible.  If Davis just found his 2017 self it would be true.  Ouch.  

Most posters seem to think that Trumbo is going to be in RF.   I don't see that working in Anaheim or Oakland.   The outfields are too large.  I expect to see Gentry or Santander in right on this road trip.

The O's are facing a righthander in Tuesday's game.   I think we will see.

Davis 1B

Alvarez DH

Valencia 3B

Santander RF

Mancini  LF

Wednesday's game is vs a lefty.  I think we will see;

Trumbo  DH

Valencia  3B

Santander RF

Gentry  LF

Mancini  1B

Thursday's starter is TBD

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Most posters seem to think that Trumbo is going to be in RF.   I don't see that working in Anaheim or Oakland.   The outfields are too large.  I expect to see Gentry or Santander in right on this road trip.

The O's are facing a righthander in Tuesday's game.   I think we will see.

Davis 1B

Alvarez DH

Valencia 3B

Santander RF

Mancini  LF

Wednesday's game is vs a lefty.  I think we will see;

Trumbo  DH

Valencia  3B

Santander RF

Gentry  LF

Mancini  1B

Thursday's starter is TBD

I don’t want him in RF. I want to trade him. I just don’t see how else they pull it off. Pedro will only play vs LHP. You don’t bring Trumbo back and then sit him. 

I have said it a million times. I hope Mark can be dealt if we are willing to eat a substantial amount of his contract. A Pedro/ Valencia DH for this year and freeing up a spot next year for Mancini to play 1B and DH some would be a start on fixing the defense. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t want him in RF. I want to trade him. I just don’t see how else they pull it off. Pedro will only play vs LHP. You don’t bring Trumbo back and then sit him. 

I have said it a million times. I hope Mark can be dealt if we are willing to eat a substantial amount of his contract. A Pedro/ Valencia DH for this year and freeing up a spot next year for Mancini to play 1B and DH some would be a start on fixing the defense. 

What have you seen in Valencia that would make him valuable enough to keep over even a bad Trumbo?  If Pedro can play 3B as well as Valencia, then we don't need Valencia as emergency 3B.  So we could basically have a three way platoon for two spots: Davis/Trumbo/Alvarez.  As long as he's hitting Pedro plays almost every day.

16 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

What have you seen in Valencia that would make him valuable enough to keep over even a bad Trumbo?  If Pedro can play 3B as well as Valencia, then we don't need Valencia as emergency 3B.  So we could basically have a three way platoon for two spots: Davis/Trumbo/Alvarez.  As long as he's hitting Pedro plays almost every day.

Pedro can’t hit lefties. 

It is not an ideal situation. 

Heretical stats:

Year|Days Trumbo Played Right Field| Orioles Wins

2016 95 89

2017 31 75

Heretical analysis: It doesn't matter who plays right field at Camden Yards. It matters if that person can hit. If Trumbo can out hit the other right field candidates, then I don't think the defensive downgrade at Camden Yards is  meaningful in the long haul. And Trumbo hit better as a right fielder than as a DH in '16 and '17. I would definitely stick Trumbo in right in Camden Yards and keep my fingers crossed. 

p.s. Trumbo's OPS as a RF in '16 was .888 and .876 in '17. Put him in RF. Fans will pull a handful of hair out once every week or two, but if he hits his offense will more than make up for the defense.

What will happen and would should happen are undoubtedly two different things. For me, I make Trumbo a weak side 1B platoon with Davis until he proves he deserves more ABs. He occasionally plays at DH with Valencia or Alvarez at 3B until Schoop returns and pushes Peterson to the hot corner.

What does the roster look like after Schoop and Beckham return? My guess:

1B Davis/Trumbo

2B Schoop

SS Manny

3B Beckham

LF Mancini

CF Jones

RF Gentry

C Caleb/Sisco

DH Pedro/Valencia/ Trumbo

Bench

C