Buck confident in Davis' resurgence: 'It's there'

Bonecrusher52

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Union doesn't have the power to stop it.

I don't think Davis would do it.

If I were Davis and it became clear to me that I was done and would have to spend the next 4 years on the bench or striking out 300+ times per season, I'd cut a deal and retire for just the deferred money remaining. He's made plenty.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been thinking about this even more and I'm convinced that the Chris Davis signing is the worst contract / move made in the history of modern day baseball. I really wish there was some way we could get out of this contract mess. Some loophole that we could exploit.

18 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If I were Davis and it became clear to me that I was done and would have to spend the next 4 years on the bench or striking out 300+ times per season, I'd cut a deal and retire for just the deferred money remaining. He's made plenty.

No player is going to walk away from that much guaranteed money. And I can't blame him either. It's on the team for poorly assessing his talent and his market. 

20 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

You say that but he wouldn't have waited for the 7 year contract so he could retire after 2 1/2 years of bad play.  He is going to be here to the last day of his contract.  And I would do the same. If someone is paying you 23 million a season to play a game and you get 4 months off a year why would you quit?  Makes zero sense. 

Just now, atomic said:

You say that but he wouldn't have waited for the 7 year contract so he could retire after 2 1/2 years of bad play.  He is going to be here to the last day of his contract.  And I would do the same. If someone is paying you 23 million a season to play a game and you get 4 months off a year why would you quit?  Makes zero sense. 

You'd be content to sit on the bench for 4 years or humiliate yourself with the few AB you get? How much money does anyone need?

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

You'd be content to sit on the bench for 4 years or humiliate yourself with the few AB you get? How much money does anyone need?

For 23 million a year I would be willing to do that.  And I suspect most people would as I don't see too many people walking away from 92 million dollars.  The games are only a few hours long. I can sit in the dug out and eat sunflower seeds and think about what I am going to buy with my money.   And if the team wanted me to I could trip on something in the parking lot and go on the disabled list.  

Just now, atomic said:

For 23 million a year I would be willing to do that.  And I suspect most people would as I don't see too many people walking away from 92 million dollars.  The games are only a few hours long. I can sit in the dug out and eat sunflower seeds and think about what I am going to buy with my money.   And if the team wanted me to I could trip on something in the parking lot and go on the disabled list.  

I would think nothing less of you. Of course Money is everything.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

I would think nothing less of you. Of course Money is everything.

Well I guess you don't think much of baseball players.  As this is what they do. Sign for as many years and as much money as they can and what they stop performing they still stay around to collect their paychecks.  

Just now, atomic said:

Well I guess you don't think much of baseball players.  As this is what they do. Sign for as many years and as much money as they can and what they stop performing they still stay around to collect their paychecks.  

McGwire for one didn't. I'm sure you can find other examples. 

40 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Even in your crazy hypothetical, It would take a heck of a lot more than the deferred money to buy you out.

You are voluntarily giving up millions upon millions that the other party agreed to pay you, guaranteed.

You'd at least want some fair percentage of that money in that exchange.

Archived