Who's most to blame for this mess?

now

Who's most to blame for this mess?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who's most to blame for this mess?

• Peter
    • John and Lou
    • Brady
    • Dan
    • Buck
    • McDowell / Coolbaugh
    • Drafting and Scouting
    • Player Development
    • The Players
    • All of the above

Just now, wildcard said:

Davis, Jones. Joesph, Santander for not hitting.

Schoop, Beckham, Rasmus, Trumbo, Britton for getting injured

Tillman, Wright, Brach, O'Day, for not pitching better.

Givens for not being able to feel the ball in the cold.

Duquette for not acquiring more starting pitching..

Ownership for signing Davis and Trumbo to contracts that are too large.

Hays for a poor start to the season.

Cobb for signing too late.

Hays?

Poor kid is in Bowie.

You leave Hays alone!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Dan was told to jettison several pitchers that we gave up on (generally) and sent packing only to see success elsewhere, he is a lot to blame. 

Who's job is it to define the type of players we should target? IE high OBP etc.. Dan again I would presume. So unless he's being told which players he can target, Dan wins again.  

Ownership is always meddling so they get a deserved share of the blame...

Who's idea was it to pay Davis? I like Davis, but he hadn't a proven track record to earn that contract. 

I will note that there was a time where we changed coaches and FO personnel fairly regularly and the results never changed until Dan arrived.  So.. not sure where that leaves it...

24 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I am not sure blame is even useful at this point. This team is old, with some bad contracts, some below average roster players, horrendous defense, and poor bullpen with no depth. You could blame just about anyone, but the fact is this is what we have and we will have to start over. Its like looking at a fire hazard in a building and blaming the landlord or the fire department...it just IS. We need to get rid of the hazards first.

Trust me, people will be replaced after this fire...but blaming anyone isn't going to change the reality..

Roy - do you have any sense of how involved Peter is now?  Will the sons be making these decisions?

23 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I am not sure blame is even useful at this point. This team is old, with some bad contracts, some below average roster players, horrendous defense, and poor bullpen with no depth. You could blame just about anyone, but the fact is this is what we have and we will have to start over. Its like looking at a fire hazard in a building and blaming the landlord or the fire department...it just IS. We need to get rid of the hazards first.

Trust me, people will be replaced after this fire...but blaming anyone isn't going to change the reality..

The conclusion I draw from the above is that the "fire hazards" are everywhere. So what good does it do to change a few parts while the rest stays in place? Better to go the demolition route and start over with a new architect - and with that, a guiding vision from above. 

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know Dan had a good package for Britton with Houston. It was vetoed by Peter. Buck campaigned for the Davis and Trumbo signing, and Dan wasn't a fan of either signing. He wanted to sign Nelson Cruz again...it would've been a great sign....hes in his fourth year and has played and hit well every year...THATS the player that got away.I must confess though, I was all for re-signing Davis....I was terribly wrong.

Colin Moran would be real nice to have right now. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/moranco01.shtml

Terrible veto by a the powers that be. 

2 hours ago, O's84 said:

If memory serves me correct, Ithink he was tearing the cover of the ball in the minors for a long time yet he wasn't being brought up.  So it evolved (the joke) eventually to the point that he must be evil.

Yeah, if I remember correctly something like that, and one weird post by someone who blamed a losing streak on Ford, and then the rest of the Hangout just piled on in fun that a fifth outfielder/DH was responsible for a losing streak.

Duquette’s quixotic attempts at playoff runs by trading young pitchers has certainly not paid off and has the O’s perennially signing free-agent losers in the off season.  This is no way for a smaller market team to maintain talent, especially considering that ace pitchers do not want to pitch in Camden Yards.

Who knows what these guys would have done if kept, but damn some of them would surely be an improvement.  No? 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If he played to start the season like he did last year he would not be in Bowie.

Perhaps he’d be in Norfolk.   I doubt he would have been in Baltimore by now in any event.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I can’t take this poll seriously without a “Bobby Dickerson” option. 

Oh, you mean for that multitude of runners we have to ever reach third... ?

But I guess their scarcity makes them even more valuable, not to waste... 

Or do you mean for all those runners who are sent without a chance, because it sure beats dying at third?

BTW here's a cool gif of "oriole runner rounding third": 

:leaving:

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps he’d be in Norfolk.   I doubt he would have been in Baltimore by now in any event.   

I don't agree.  If Hays hits like he did last year, Rasmus gets hurt, Hays comes up.

Archived