Nick Vespi 2018

Luke-OH

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Has a strange little toe tap thing going on but doesn't do it always. Four pitches, command sketchy. It'll be interesting to follow him this year.

Messes with the hitter's timing. Command is below average for sure. Slider is the best pitch, curve is looking a bit sharper in this video than it looked last year. It was easily his worst pitch last season. Makings of a decent change-up.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Messes with the hitter's timing. Command is below average for sure. Slider is the best pitch, curve is looking a bit sharper in this video than it looked last year. It was easily his worst pitch last season. Makings of a decent change-up.

When I slowed it down though his arm lags sometimes and is in an inconsistent position when the front foot lands. I'm betting that's part of his command issues.

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

When I slowed it down though his arm lags sometimes and is in an inconsistent position when the front foot lands. I'm betting that's part of his command issues.

Good catch, it was more obvious at the beginning of the 2017, his release point was all over the place and it improved as the season went on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So most of you who read my posts know I’m high on Nick Vespi, a late round junior college pick from 2015.

I was a proponent of starting him in a rotation for 2018, but the O’s were conservative with Lowther and others and consequently Vespi was pushed to the Delmarva bullpen.

So far he’s thrown 13.1 Innings, allowing 1 run, with 18 Ks to just 2 BB.

• 1 year later...