Six Years Ago

Bahama O's Fan

I'll never forget that game. My wife and I were in a bowling league at the time. I remember starting that game at home...and then on the edge of my seat nearly the entire time towards the end. And then having to drive to the bowling alley. And it was still going.

The entire bowling alley was watching the game on like a dozen screens. When Jones hit that homer off of Darnell McDonald, the entire place went nuts.

6 years ago Adam Jones and Chris Davis were both 26 years old, btw.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

No, but if they did that it WOULD be a joke to all of baseball..that we are ridiculous.

ARE ridiculous. "Were" might be a long way in the offing.

(edit. Crud. Thought you wrote were. This team is giving me brain scramble.) 

I’ve mentioned it before in other threads about this game, but it’ll always hold a very special place in my heart. I started watching the game on my phone while at my family members birthday party, and saw the incredible conclusion at the bar waiting for the NJ Devils playoff game to begin. Not long after the game ended, I received a call from my wife who informed me she was going into labor with our first child. 

Being the typical nervous wreck most men turn into in such a scenario, I rushed home to pack up and head to the hospital. I dropped my wife off in the er, and went off to find a parking spot as close to the front door as possible.

Due to the situation, I tried parking in a spot I wouldn’t have normally parked in due to how tight it was. But I had to get back to avoid missing the greatest moment of my life, so I tried to squeeze my giant truck into a spot that would barely accommodate a smart car. Needless to say, it didn’t work out as planned, and I ended up bumping into one of the cars parked in an adjacent spot.

The car ended up belonging to the er nurse who started checking my wife in. As we both ran out to assess the damage, I noticed a small Red Sox sticker on the bumper of the nurses car. I directed his attention to the obnoxious orioles sticker on the back of my truck, and apologized for adding insult to injury. We both laughed, and he rushed me into the maternity area to await the arrival of my daughter Aubrey.  Aubrey made her first trip to Camden Yards when she was 9 months old. 

Three years later, we welcomed our second daughter, Bailey. From our maternity room, I logged into MLB tv and watched the zero attendance game during the riots. Needless to say, my daughters births and the orioles will always have a special connection. 

Probably my 3rd favorite game of the last run. It was bonkers, and lasted forever. I'd only put the Andino game 162 and the Delmon Young game ahead of it. That 2012 season had some wild ones. Even though they went farther in 2014, I will remember 2012 most fondly. Orioles magic! 

Archived