Gausman, Brach to Pirates?

OrioleLochRaven

Just now, LookinUp said:

If the Os do most of what it looks like they will do, the payroll will be very low for several years. That might allow them to bid for a superstar FA too at some point.

Very true, especially once CD contract expires. Hope we sign a superstar after 2021 and become aggressive with extensions for guys we see as building blocks in the next three years.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, baltfan said:

Of course I am just scouting the video, but Cruz looks more promising than Hayes to me.  I'd like both, but Cruz intrigues the heck out of me

That is a guy with ridiculous upside. Hayes looks really good as well, High OBP at the hot corner with plus defense and arm. Hayes is a line drive gap-to-gap hitter. Might hit 15-ish Hrs in the big leagues once mature. Hayes also has a really high ceiling(some view him as a potential upper echelon third baseman). Those two guys would make the trade a big win for us. Two high ceiling guys, one being near-mlb ready.

4 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

That is a guy with ridiculous upside. Hayes looks really good as well, High OBP at the hot corner with plus defense and arm. Hayes is a line drive gap-to-gap hitter. Might hit 15-ish Hrs in the big leagues once mature. Hayes also has a really high ceiling(some view him as a potential upper echelon third baseman). Those two guys would make the trade a big win for us. Two high ceiling guys, one being near-mlb ready.

The ball jumps off of Cruz's bat.   Hayes looks a bit mechanical to me in the video I have seen but I hear his defense is excellent.  Would like both, but just based on what I see Cruz would be the guy that I would go for.  

Not sure if this was posted already- but also from earlier from a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter:

Stephen J. Nesbitt Retweeted Adam McCalvy

The Pirates are interested in RHPs Kevin Gausman and Mychal Givens, says an industry source. O’s have done background work on a few prospects in recent days. Nothing imminent, but it would bolster Pirates’ depth.

Just now, fearthenoodle said:

Not sure if this was posted already- but also from earlier from a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter:

Stephen J. Nesbitt Retweeted Adam McCalvy

The Pirates are interested in RHPs Kevin Gausman and Mychal Givens, says an industry source. O’s have done background work on a few prospects in recent days. Nothing imminent, but it would bolster Pirates’ depth.

Honestly, this type of trade makes sense for the Pirates.  If it doesn't work out, they can still move them in the offseason and the rental likely ends up costing less than if both players were free agents to be.  

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I would have expected better for Gausman + Givens.  Unless the non-headliners are all really promising.  Hayes seems similar to Diaz - 55-ish FV prospect on the upswing,  Though he apparently plays 3B well enough to stick there, which is a big plus.

Hayes and Diaz might be enough with a few secondary pieces.  We need the infielders badly.  Adding Hearn is a lot to ask, they might have their choice between the two of Hearn and Diaz.  What is the deal with Cole Tucker? Young, but numbers aren't all that impressive.  Has so SBs.  Could be an interesting secondary piece if the O's were to go with Hayes and Hearn as the headliners.

I see it as Gausman = Hayes and some secondaries, Givens = Diaz or Hearn and some Secondaries

I think four secondaries would be appropriate.  I like the names Kramer, Ogle, Escobar, Castro, Martin, Apostel, Burdi, MacGregor, Kranick, Oliva, Agrazal, Robles, Martin, Reyes, Pie, Nunez.  This website was helpful to get an idea of their system.

http://prospects1500.com/top-50-lists/pittsburgh-pirates-2018-top-50-prospects/

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

Next year's draft if we get the #1 pick, even 2 or 3 could still net that guy

We will three of the first 45 picks, including a top 3 pick. We will likely have 3 of the first 50ish picks in the 2020 draft. We have a chance to draft some high ceiling, impact talent for sure.

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Hayes and Diaz might be enough with a few secondary pieces.  We need the infielders badly.  Adding Hearn is a lot to ask, they might have their choice between the two of Hearn and Diaz.  What is the deal with Cole Tucker? Young, but numbers aren't all that impressive.  Has so SBs.  Could be an interesting secondary piece if the O's were to go with Hayes and Hearn as the headliners.

I see it as Gausman = Hayes and some secondaries, Givens = Diaz or Hearn and some Secondaries

I think four secondaries would be appropriate.  I like the names Kramer, Ogle, Escobar, Castro, Martin, Apostel, Burdi, MacGregor, Kranick, Oliva, Agrazal, Robles, Martin, Reyes, Pie, Nunez.  This website was helpful to get an idea of their system.

http://prospects1500.com/top-50-lists/pittsburgh-pirates-2018-top-50-prospects/

We already got Diaz from the Dodgers. Perhaps you are thinking Baz?

Hayes, Hearns plus 4  

Archived