If Andy MacPhail was the O's GM....

wildcard

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

just think what he could have gotten for Schoop and Gausman.

I am not saying that MacPhail  should be the O's GM.  But the difference between what he could get in return for a trade seems massive compared to what Dan Duquette got for Jonathan and Kevin.

I have a feeling Andy would have waited for better deals... which may or may not have materialized. (And I would have supported waiting out the market on KG and Schoop, and maybe moving them in the offseason or next season... hoping they both had great numbers by then). 

That said... sometimes you just gotta move forward with a plan, and do the best you can with what you got. 

As many here have pointed out, the market is the market. You can't tell the market what it will pay. And I do have a feeling we probably got about what we could from this market, for these players, at this particular time. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, weams said:

What? That's nuts. Especially if saving money was also an ownership directive. 

They were over their heads for a while. The shoe fell and they had to do some painful trades. 

I don't believe this team would have enjoyed the winning from 2012-2016 if MacPhail was at the helm.

I also think it is absurd to try and compare situations 10+ years apart in an ever evolving business as baseball.

16 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They were over their heads for a while. The shoe fell and they had to do some painful trades. 

I don't believe this team would have enjoyed the winning from 2012-2016 if MacPhail was at the helm.

I also think it is absurd to try and compare situations 10+ years apart in an ever evolving business as baseball.

All good stuff. Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I have a feeling Andy would have waited for better deals... which may or may not have materialized. (And I would have supported waiting out the market on KG and Schoop, and maybe moving them in the offseason or next season... hoping they both had great numbers by then). 

That said... sometimes you just gotta move forward with a plan, and do the best you can with what you got. 

As many here have pointed out, the market is the market. You can't tell the market what it will pay. And I do have a feeling we probably got about what we could from this market, for these players, at this particular time. 

Do you think that ownership predicted this type of attendance and fan enthusiasm at the beginning of the season when they signed on for 150 million dollars of MLB player expense? 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Do you think that ownership predicted this type of attendance and fan enthusiasm at the beginning of the season when they signed on for 150 million dollars of MLB player expense? 

My gut and nothing to prove my theory.

Peter was still in charge, and hoping for a world series, and as soon as it was clear that wasn't happy.

Reins was turned over to John, and John sat down with DD and ask him his opinion on what to do, and DD must have sold him on a plan, and he has been executing that plan.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I think they looked at this as their last shot. As an organization, I think they looked around at each other, shrugged and said: well, it may be a longish shot, but we gotta go for it. The old man's getting old (more than one old man, actually)... and it's now or never. 

But I suspect that too many cooks, too much uncertainty about Dan's future, etc., clouded the decision-making going back multiple seasons. So I think they've been caught up in a multi-year delusion, chasing rainbows... and they forgot to take care of the fundamentals, like pitching and defense. 

Just now, Bradysburns said:

I think they looked at this as their last shot. As an organization, I think they looked around at each other, shrugged and said: well, it may be a longish shot, but we gotta go for it. The old man's getting old (more than one old man, actually)... and it's now or never. 

But I suspect that too many cooks, too much uncertainty about Dan's future, etc., clouded the decision-making going back multiple seasons. So I think they've been caught up in a multi-year delusion, chasing rainbows... and they forgot to take care of the fundamentals, like pitching and defense. 

I don't think they forgot. I think it got away from them with the Stone Poneys they put in the field. Davis and Schoop and Mancini tanking had a huge impact. 

Just now, weams said:

I don't think they forgot. I think it got away from them with the Stone Poneys they put in the field. Davis and Schoop and Mancini tanking had a huge impact. 

Stone ponies indeed. I'd rather see an elite defense on the field that hits for average, runs the bases well and minimizes mistakes. We have approximately zero players on our roster with elite defense (maybe CD at first?). It's almost like somebody was TRYING to build a dysfunctional team... and one with horrible defense. 

8 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Stone ponies indeed. I'd rather see an elite defense on the field that hits for average, runs the bases well and minimizes mistakes. We have approximately zero players on our roster with elite defense (maybe CD at first?). It's almost like somebody was TRYING to build a dysfunctional team... and one with horrible defense. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Dear lord... If this is what our VP of baseball operations is doing during the workday, I suddenly understand a lot more about how we got here. 

Again, love me some Brady. He was a great Oriole. But dude... compare this to Theo Epstein, who was probably sifting through Uruguayan high school scouting reports with the help of artificial intelligence and a team of Harvard-trained statisticians while Brady was showing this nice lady how to do a proper barbell squat. 

2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Dear lord... If this is what our VP of baseball operations is doing during the workday, I suddenly understand a lot more about how we got here. 

Again, love me some Brady. He was a great Oriole. But dude... compare this to Theo Epstein, who was probably sifting through Uruguayan high school scouting reports with the help of artificial intelligence and a team of Harvard-trained statisticians while Brady was showing this nice lady how to do a proper barbell squat. 

does the team have any injured players working out in Sarasota?????

Its should be clear that John running things, DD is back in charge.

Archived