Drew Rom

MachoMachadoMan

Just now, Tony-OH said:

He certainly had no hip rotation in high school. I was a little disappointed to see the stadium radar readings (assuming they were accurate), but I really liked how he used his offspeed pitches. I'm going to go back and watch the whole outing as I only caught the last two live, but for a 19-year old, two good offpseed pitches is a great place to start.

I like to remember that Zach Britton was only 90-91 when I saw him in Aberdeen. 

It looked like his finish was the same in his Delmarva debut, still soft front leg at least which is usually a telltale sign of poor rotation. That’s relatively low hanging fruit for mechanical improvement, so I’m hopeful, I just hate trying to project on mechanical adjustments that haven’t been made yet for pitchers.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Rom is getting into a groove.   4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 7 K’s today.  He’s been strong in 4 outings out of 5, including the last 3 in a row.   So far this year, 30 K’s in 21.1 IP.    Not too shabby.   

• Upvote 1

Rom continued his solid pitching last night, tossing 5 innings of one-hit shutout ball, walking 3 and striking out five.    With Knight in Frederick now, I expect Rom will join the rotation full time, rather than alternating between starting and relieving.   

Rom’s overall line so far: 26.1 IP,  24 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 10 BB, 35 K’s, 2.05 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 12.0 K/9, 3.5 K/BB.  Very nice numbers for the 19-year old.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2019 at 7:06 AM, Frobby said:

Rom continued his solid pitching last night, tossing 5 innings of one-hit shutout ball, walking 3 and striking out five.    With Knight in Frederick now, I expect Rom will join the rotation full time, rather than alternating between starting and relieving.   

Rom’s overall line so far: 26.1 IP,  24 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 10 BB, 35 K’s, 2.05 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 12.0 K/9, 3.5 K/BB.  Very nice numbers for the 19-year old.

Encouraging start. Love seeing that strikeout rate where it is 

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Impressive.  I know it's early, but any report on his fastball increasing in velocity from the 86-91 range?  

t92 one start, haven't heard anything higher than that, but I don't have velocity numbers from 3 of his outings including the 2 most recent ones. 

I’m starting to think Drew Rom is the most underrated pitching prospect in our system.   Tonight, 5 shutout innings, 4 hits, no walks, 7 strikeouts.   Rom’s ERA is down to 1.72.    

Got himself into a first and third, no out situation in the 4th inning tonight.   Strikeout, weak grounder to the pitcher and now there’s two out.   The next hitter has a long at bat and on the 8th pitch Rom induces a foul pop that the 1B drops.   Rom responds by striking the guy out on the 9th pitch of the at bat.   That’s what you call pitching.   

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Adam McInturff of 2080 Baseball isn’t overly impressed.   https://2080baseball.com/reports/drew-rom/

I’m a little higher on the future grade for the slider, and he has a knuckle curve too, but in general, I agree with the report. He’s succeeding with things that won’t necessarily hold up moving up the ranks. Velocity is key though, if he adds a couple ticks, the change and slider will bump half a grade due to arm speed if he can still command them.