Take a Flyer on this guy?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hutchinson is 27.

Who are the young guys right now that should be getting starts?

Means is 25

Yacabonis is 26

Rogers is 25

The guys in AA aren’t ready and shouldn’t be rushed. We were looking at Hutchinson this past offseason. He had success in the AL East in 2014. We can offer opportunity. And he has 3 years of control left if it turns out well. 

Who costs league minimum to pitch. Yeah. That guy. 

Per MLB.com, Hutchison snapped off a 23-inning scoreless streak to end his tenure with the Dodgers organization.  That's in the PCL - so while it's a small sample size, it's very impressive.  I'm not a believer in guys like Hess, Means, Yefry Ramirez... so I'd be inclined to take a long look at Hutchison.  

Why is everybody so hung up on age? If they're available, cheap, controllable and putting up good numbers - give them a shot. What do we have to lose? With injuries and about a million other things that can de-rail guys, you need a lot of bodies to come up with solid pitching staff and without that the rebuild goes nowhere.

11 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I think Ramirez has a chance to be good, he gets great movement on his stuff, he didn’t give up more than 2-3 hard hit balls v NYY. 

I think Luke mentioned there's going to be a catch-22 with him.  His delivery makes it hard on the hitters, but it leads to command issues.  If he straighten out the delivery, it'll help his command but make his stuff easier to hit.  But of the pltchers I mentioned, I think he's the best of them, and he has been decent with O's this season.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Would rather focus on prospects not reclamation projects.

I know and I was teasing.  But Huchison would be controllable for 3 years and cheap.  Im on board to give that a chance.  Better than someone like Tillman...

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I know and I was teasing.  But Huchison would be controllable for 3 years and cheap.  Im on board to give that a chance.  Better than someone like Tillman...

Maybe give him a try out, Orioles aren’t exactly drowning in starting pitching talent.

I just don’t want to hear bull about Hutchison looking good in simulated games only to get beaten like a piñata when activated.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hutchison hasn’t been serviceable since 2014. No thanks.

Not sure that should really disqualify him. 

Kyle Gibson hadn’t been useful since 2015, but now he’s a 3-4 win SP this year. Derek Holland, not quite as good as Gibson this season but still a 2ish win starter, and he’s been basically worthless since 2013. Trevor Cahill hasn’t been a decent starter since 2013, but he’s been a big part of the Oakland surge as a member of their rotation. Marco Gonzales had literally never been useful, but he’s a top 20 SP per fWAR this season. 

Pitchers are a lot like prospects — you never really know who it’s going to “click” for, or when it will happen for them. Just collect as many of them with talent as you can and give them a chance to sink or swim. 

And Hutchison definitely has talent. He’s always been able to miss bats pretty well, and his numbers over the last couple seasons look like he’s been changing his approach to get more groundballs. If he could continue to become more effective working down in the zone, I would think he could be something similar to Cashner.

Obviously, the odds are very good that he won’t figure it out and will continue to be ineffective. But what’s the harm? He’s very likely got more natural talent than the likes of Hess and Yacabonis, so I don’t think we need to be too concerned with him blocking real prospects. And he’s only 28, so there’s still upside there. If he does figure it out, he could become a valuable trade chip that we could cash in. 

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maybe give him a try out, Orioles aren’t exactly drowning in starting pitching talent.

I just don’t want to hear bull about Hutchison looking good in simulated games only to get beaten like a piñata when activated.

Well let's be honest.  We are going to see plenty of guys beaten like piñata over the next couple of years.  Some of those guys will get their only ML chance and some of them are gonna grow under that high heat.  It will be fun to watch and painful to watch.  Well until we are drowning in starting pitching talent.  Then we can plan to end our WS drought.

;) 

Archived