Tillman to Texas

Yardball85

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I would quarrel with you and Weams regarding many Oriole players. I would guess that many on our roster aren't "the best in the world at what they do".

Hah, good point!   There are certainly several who are highly debatable, starting with the highest paid player on the team.

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I would quarrel with you and Weams regarding many Oriole players. I would guess that many on our roster aren't "the best in the world at what they do".

Technically, they are correct, but that's also damning with faint praise.  If these Orioles are in the top 750, what does that say about the talent not in the majors?   

Hopefully Tillman will take what's left if his dignity and retire. It's rare for a guy to completely lose it as fast as he did, but I truly believe whatever happened to his shoulder in mid-2016 started the beginning of the end for him.

I'm sure he's frustrated that he never made it to that big contract, but he made over $25 million in his career so I think he should find a way to squeak by. 

He was good Oriole who had a nice six year run as a solid starter. He was a model citizen who worked hard and gave all he had to the organization. We should thank him for his time here, but the time has come to hang them up.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Technically, they are correct, but that's also damning with faint praise.  If these Orioles are in the top 750, what does that say about the talent not in the majors?   

I think technically, we are incorrect.   There are guys who used to be among the best 750 who are only in the majors now because they have expensive contracts.    And, there are guys who arguably are among the 25 best available to a particular team, but might not be in the top 35 in a different organization.   Really, the context of the statement was to point out that the vast majority of professional baseball players don’t make much money if they don’t hold one of the 750 major league jobs.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think technically, we are incorrect.   There are guys who used to be among the best 750 who are only in the majors now because they have expensive contracts.    And, there are guys who arguably are among the 25 best available to a particular team, but might not be in the top 35 in a different organization.   Really, the context of the statement was to point out that the vast majority of professional baseball players don’t make much money if they don’t hold one of the 750 major league jobs.    

Yeah, and I could've pointed out there are prospects being held back so as not to "start their clock" and so on.

That's what I get for agreeing with you before...?

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hopefully Tillman will take what's left if his dignity and retire. It's rare for a guy to completely lose it as fast as he did, but I truly believe whatever happened to his shoulder in mid-2016 started the beginning of the end for him.

I'm sure he's frustrated that he never made it to that big contract, but he made over $25 million in his career so I think he should find a way to squeak by. 

He was good Oriole who had a nice six year run as a solid starter. He was a model citizen who worked hard and gave all he had to the organization. We should thank him for his time here, but the time has come to hang them up.

I agree totally Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, and I could've pointed out there are prospects being held back so as not to "start their clock" and so on.

That's what I get for agreeing with you before...?

If you think about it, the financial consequence of a September call-up is huge for these guys.

Archived