Tillman to Texas

Yardball85

32 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Still getting paid by the Orioles.  Check

Getting another paycheck from the Rangers.  Check

Keep playing the game you love with a chance to get straightened out by a new pitching coach.  Check.

The real question is...why would he NOT sign with another team? 

Well I guess he doesn't have those family and charity issues that keep AJ stuck in Baltimore, LOL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

Can we sticky all these comments so that if, and I mean IF, Tillman ever makes a comeback and amounts to something that people don't bash the Orioles for dumping him?

Reference:  Arrieta, J. 

There is a huge difference in that Tillman was only under contract and team control for 2018 anyway. The Orioles dumped less than half a season of Tillman, a period where there was a 0% chance he could contribute anything. Had they been able to have Arrieta reach his potential in Baltimore, they would have had him for a number of additional years. There was no reason not to dump Tillman unless you had some intention of signing him for next year, which also had a 0% probability. Even if he wins a Cy Young with Texas, it wouldn't have been during a period when the Orioles would have had any rights to him.

I had read that he refused assignment with us to Norfolk, then has a minor league deal to go down with Texas.   Hard to see if he had any production at all that he would have had a better shot pitching in the remainder of the season here than in Texas...but, whatever, I think Chris is done, so fine.  Next. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So far with AAA Round Rock: 2 starts, 2.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP.    His last outing, on Tuesday, lasted 1/3 of an inning.  Sad.

Definitely sad.  He's such a competitor that he can't accept reality.  Honestly I think the best thing for him to do if we wants to try and salvage his career is to take some time off, and explore some experimental medical options (maybe similar to what Bartolo Colon did:  https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/sports/baseball/disputed-treatment-was-used-in-bartolo-colons-comeback.html).

After a year or so off, maybe he can try a comeback at that point.

3 hours ago, esmd said:

Definitely sad.  He's such a competitor that he can't accept reality.  Honestly I think the best thing for him to do if we wants to try and salvage his career is to take some time off, and explore some experimental medical options (maybe similar to what Bartolo Colon did:  https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/sports/baseball/disputed-treatment-was-used-in-bartolo-colons-comeback.html).

After a year or so off, maybe he can try a comeback at that point.

I’m sure steroids helped Colon. That is Tillman’s option. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, Frobby said:

So far with AAA Round Rock: 2 starts, 2.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP.    His last outing, on Tuesday, lasted 1/3 of an inning.  Sad.

After an 11-day hiatus, Tillman pitched on Saturday: 2.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB and 2 K’s.

I wonder what the percentage is of athletes that don't know when they're done.  Part of a manager's and GM's job is to communicate that to them - for the harsh benefit of the athlete.  They've been competitors all their lives and have been taught not to quit.  Somebody has to tell them that it's time - to protect them.    

Just now, Ruzious said:

I wonder what the percentage is of athletes that don't know when they're done.  Part of a manager's and GM's job is to communicate that to them - for the harsh benefit of the athlete.  They've been competitors all their lives and have been taught not to quit.  Somebody has to tell them that it's time - to protect them.    

I suspect more try to keep playing, instead of walking away.

Its a mental thing with them, its all they know how to do, is to play ball, they don't plan for what they want to do with life after playing days is over.

You cant expect an agent who wants to keep money coming in, to be square with the dude, and they learn early on, not to trust the front office.

Archived