Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This guy is on fire.....I'm wondering if the guys that said he'd be Nontendered this offseason are ready to eat crow??

C'mon gents, we know who you are!

Well, I’m not one of them, but it was within the realm of possibility after the AS break. I still think at his rate of production up to that point he would have been a good candidate to tender a two year deal below his current rate. 

He has made adjustments in his swing and added value. Currently, he’s more valuable than Mancini and will likely cost a little more than was expected.

Certainly, paying the raise in arbitration would be reasonable considering his overall production, but if they want him even as a placeholder he’s going to cost a little more than what people thought. A lot of cost cutting maneuvers happening, too. 

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Well, I’m not one of them, but it was within the realm of possibility after the AS break. I still think at his rate of production up to that point he would have been a good candidate to tender a two year deal below his current rate. 

He has made adjustments in his swing and added value. Currently, he’s more valuable than Mancini and will likely cost a little more than was expected.

Certainly, paying the raise in arbitration would be reasonable considering his overall production, but if they want him even as a placeholder he’s going to cost a little more than what people thought. A lot of cost cutting maneuvers happening, too. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's certainly getting more tradeable.

I've mentioned a 2-3 year deal at something like 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5. None of those number would make him hard to trade. We will have money coming off the books. Even if you have to had a half million per season the numbers are reasonable.

o

(AUGUST 25th)

With more than a month of games yet to be played and with him currently sitting at 19 Home Runs and 28 Stolen Bases for the season, I believe that Villar has a shot at 25/30, with an outside chance of 25/40.

First things first, though ........

Villar’s Shot for 20/20

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/the-stewartmountcastle-connection-and-villars-shot-for-2020.html

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 25th)

With more than a month of games yet to be played and with him currently sitting at 19 Home Runs and 28 Stolen Bases for the season, I believe that Villar has a shot at 25/30, with an outside chance of 25/40.

First things first, though ........

Villar’s Shot for 20/20

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/the-stewartmountcastle-connection-and-villars-shot-for-2020.html

o

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 8/25)

NUMBER 20

JONATHAN RAFAEL VILLAROQUE

o

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

How often do you expect to get the 2019 Villar?  He had a career year once before and regressed.  Pretty much why the brew crew wanted to give him away in the Schoop deal.  Sell high. He should be tradeable coming off this season.

Unless your getting value plus trading to move him is just dumb. 

Theyve by his own admission adjusted his swing. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If you believe this is the new and improved Villar then you tender or sign him to your type of deal, assuming he's willing.  If you think he's likely to revert back to pre-trade Villar you see what you can get.  

I do not expect Villar to replicate 2019.   To be clear, Villar’s OPS stood at .713 as recently as July 24.    I’m glad he’s had a very hot month, but I don’t mistake a month-long hot streak for some fundamental change in Villar’s skill set.    And I happen to like his normal skill set just fine.   

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do not expect Villar to replicate 2019.   To be clear, Villar’s OPS stood at .713 as recently as July 24.    I’m glad he’s had a very hot month, but I don’t mistake a month-long hot streak for some fundamental change in Villar’s skill set.    And I happen to like his normal skill set just fine.   

I liked him just fine before also. I think he provides good value even the .260 hitting version 

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's certainly getting more tradeable.

This.  20 home runs, OPS over .800, and lots of steals.  But he's gonna be on the downside of his career most likely when we are competing again.  He should have some value in the off-season for a team looking for an average to slightly above average second baseman, which hopefully can lead the Orioles to two of a team's top 30 prospects or so.

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

This.  20 home runs, OPS over .800, and lots of steals.  But he's gonna be on the downside of his career most likely when we are competing again.  He should have some value in the off-season for a team looking for an average to slightly above average second baseman, which hopefully can lead the Orioles to two of a team's top 30 prospects or so.

He’s on some kind of hot streak. He really adds a lot to the lineup. Takes pressure off a lot of the guys below him in the order. I don’t see him getting traded until deadline time next year. 

This lineup is really “watchable” right now. If only we’d add Mountcastle. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

been a baseball fan a long time. baseball is always changing but a 20-20 season has never been just some hot streak.

-mark

49 minutes ago, markeubanks said:

been a baseball fan a long time. baseball is always changing but a 20-20 season has never been just some hot streak.

-mark

I’m not really referring to the 20-20 part.    I wouldn’t be surprised if Villar does that once or twice in the future.    But he’s a .737 OPS career hitter, currently at .811 (before today) which is the highest he’s been since April 15 and 98 points higher than he was a month ago.    I don’t expect him to be an .810 OPS guy going forward.    I don’t think any team trading for him would expect that either.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not really referring to the 20-20 part.    I wouldn’t be surprised if Villar does that once or twice in the future.    But he’s a .737 OPS career hitter, currently at .811 (before today) which is the highest he’s been since April 15 and 98 points higher than he was a month ago.    I don’t expect him to be an .810 OPS guy going forward.    I don’t think any team trading for him would expect that either.   

.770 OPS in OPACY for his career in 435 PA. He likes hitting here. 

Jonathan Villar's wOBA in the 30 day time period between July 26 and August 24th was .477, the highest of any Oriole over any 30-day period so far this season (with a minimum of 50PA). This wOBA was ranked 7th across both leagues during that time.

He hit .381/.476/.686/1.162 over 124PAs, with 7 home runs, 8 stolen bases, and a 204 wRC+.

Villar racked up 2.1 fWAR during the stretch, which was tops in baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

o

This was Villar's first home run in  2 and-a-half weeks.

(vs. DODGERS, 9/11)

NUMBER 21

o