2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Allow me to introduce you to "Armando Araiza."

Cervenka does have a good arm and bat. Needs more work though.

Haven't really paid much attention to him, Cervenka isn't bad defensively as a whole, but he loses so many strikes and he doesn't set a good target. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Luke-OH said:

Haven't really paid much attention to him, Cervenka isn't bad defensively as a whole, but he loses so many strikes and he doesn't set a good target. 

He doesn't set a good low target. The dude is also 6' 4", so he does tend to have an "elevated" target.

Anyway to shrink him? Throw him in the dryer for a bit?

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He doesn't set a good low target. The dude is also 6' 4", so he does tend to have an "elevated" target.

Anyway to shrink him? Throw him in the dryer for a bit?

He also doesn't get the glove where it needs to be for pitches inside or outside, I can't count how many times (in games with CF video, I watch most of Bowie's road games for this reason) he sets the glove on the plate in a count that doesn't call for a strike and the pitcher hits the spot only to get barreled, kind of frustrating. 

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Luke-OH have you watched any video of highly-regarded collegian catchers Adley Rutschman and Shea Langeliers? If so, any thoughts on their skills?

Mostly at the plate, not behind it, and more Rutschman than Langeliers. Rutschman has an excellent feel for the barrel and eye-hand, he gets the barrel into the zone early and hit to all fields with authority. He's a switch hitter and has a bit more bat speed from the RH side, but a mechanically sound stroke from both. I don't know how much power he's going to have, I haven't seen enough of him with a wood bat, but he's going to hit. 

34 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Mostly at the plate, not behind it, and more Rutschman than Langeliers. Rutschman has an excellent feel for the barrel and eye-hand, he gets the barrel into the zone early and hit to all fields with authority. He's a switch hitter and has a bit more bat speed from the RH side, but a mechanically sound stroke from both. I don't know how much power he's going to have, I haven't seen enough of him with a wood bat, but he's going to hit. 

Danke.

19 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Another thing watching Cervenka today, he catches Kremer's curveballs chasing them down, giving no chance to get a called strike anywhere near the bottom of the zone. 

It seems he needs a lot of work receiving/framing.  This and his age (26) leads me to believe we're looking at a AAAA player- at best.  Being 26 doesn't limit someone from improving, but most players are what they're going to be by 26.  

44 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Another thing watching Cervenka today, he catches Kremer's curveballs chasing them down, giving no chance to get a called strike anywhere near the bottom of the zone. 

Charles Johnson had the same problem catching Scott Erickson's sinker. Cost him a world full of strikes before we traded he and Harold Baines at the deadline for 3 minor leaguers (who stayed minor leaguers) and Brook Fordyce.

Another Syd Thrift special.

Archived