Dan to Roch: Possible September Call Ups

weams

More players on the farm could filter into the roster before the season reaches its conclusion.

“I think (Steve) Wilkerson’s starting a rehab assignment this week, so he may be able to come back and help the club,” Duquette said. “We’ve been following DJ Stewart to see if he would merit a look in the big leagues. A couple of pitchers that we can keep an eye on. They’re doing pretty well.

“(John) Means is throwing the ball pretty good, (Josh) Rogers has thrown the ball well since we picked him up the Yanks. And then (Luis) Gonzalez was doing well in Double-A, we sent him to Triple-A and he’s been pitching pretty well there. And Luis Ortiz pitched a great game the other night at Triple-A. And Branden Kline is pitching well at Double-A. So, they’re all possibilities for us.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/duquette-on-jones-i-respect-him-and-i-respect-the-right-that-the-player-earned.html

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Stewart is no slam dunk. I’d like to see us call up the guys that have to be added to the 40 man to protect them from the Rule 5. Let’s get a good look. Stewart, Means, Rogers, Luiz Gonzales, Kline. Then reward a guy like Mountcastle, whose conversation in ST with Buck became public, all he did was produce. 

Guys like Wilkerson, Valera, and Susac will be up as well. 

It will be interesting if we bring Sisco back. 

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's 40 man roster ais at 38.    Other space could be made by DFAing  any of the following players: Gilmartin, Hart, Marinez, Susac, Vielma, Gentry

Yep, lots of guys can easily be removed off the 40-man to make space.

I'd like to see them take a look at Gonzalez, Kline, Rogers and Means. Also since Luis Ortiz will need to be added might as well bring him up as well. Valera is another guy I'd audition as a utility guy and second base since there is little chance Beckam is offered arbitration and Villar may need to be the shortstop next year.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds like Stewart is no slam dunk. I’d like to see us call up the guys that have to be added to the 40 man to protect them from the Rule 5. Let’s get a good look. Stewart, Means, Rogers, Luiz Gonzales, Kline. Then reward a guy like Mountcastle, whose conversation in ST with Buck became public, all he did was produce. 

Guys like Wilkerson, Valera, and Susac will be up as well.  

It will be interesting if we bring Sisco back. 

Sisco will be back as the third catcher since Susac is out. I would like to see Sisco get a number of at-bats and looks to see if he can produce in a lineup with some other young players getting attention. He was the top prospect and had hype. I'm not sure that helped him. Now that Mullins is in the order and maybe guys like Stewart and Mountcastle get a look, he's not the premiere young player anymore.

I really want to see him get ABs and chances behind the plate to show some improvement to go into the off-season with some optimism around him. I'd love for him to show enough to convince the front office that a Sisco/Wynn tandem next year is the right choice and Joseph can be non-tendered to buy an extra 40-man spot for a prospect or Rule-5 selection. We can then sign Joseph back on a minor league deal if we really want as I'd expect he'd be hard pressed to find a big league offer.

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, lots of guys can easily be removed off the 40-man to make space.

I'd like to see them take a look at Gonzalez, Kline, Rogers and Means. Also since Luis Ortiz will need to be added might as well bring him up as well. Valera is another guy I'd audition as a utility guy and second base since there is little chance Beckam is offered arbitration and Villar may need to be the shortstop next year.

40 man roster manipulation isn't usually a problem with this team, and with 2 extra spots, even more manageable.

IMO, I think Beck does get arb, he wont break the bank, and he is better than most alternatives on this club, and not like they are doing anything for 3 years.

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

40 man roster manipulation isn't usually a problem with this team, and with 2 extra spots, even more manageable.

IMO, I think Beck does get arb, he wont break the bank, and he is better than most alternatives on this club, and not like they are doing anything for 3 years.

It will be interesting to see how much Villar plays SS the reason of the season.   I think we will see him there pretty often  especially after Wilkerson is activated.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I dont see Beckham not getting arbitration unless we are really just spending nothing.  He has been solid with the bat since the break .274 and ops is .856.  I expect they keep an opening day payroll in the 90-100 million range.

Yeah, it's not like the infield prospects are knocking down the door either.

You're probably looking at a DP combo of Beckham and Villar in 2019 with maybe Mountcastle at 3B.

Archived