17 minor leaguers I want to see called up in Sept.

wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's management want to see Ortiz with the O's in September.

Yeah, maybe.    He’s only thrown 94 innings, so he should have a little gas in the tank if the O’s want to have a look.    

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One factor is the minor league playoffs.  I know that's not the ultimate goal of any organization but this time of year they are very conscious about trying to give those affiliates - and especially those players that have worked all year to be in that position - a chance to compete in the playoffs.  

I would like to see Means get a shot in September, but given his innings I doubt that's going to happen.  I suspect Rogers will stay up and occupy the fifth starter spot for a little bit.

2 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

One factor is the minor league playoffs.  I know that's not the ultimate goal of any organization but this time of year they are very conscious about trying to give those affiliates - and especially those players that have worked all year to be in that position - a chance to compete in the playoffs.  

I would like to see Means get a shot in September, but given his innings I doubt that's going to happen.  I suspect Rogers will stay up and occupy the fifth starter spot for a little bit.

First sentence of the OP.   "Maybe not all at once, but sometime during the month."

6 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

They had a funny way of showing that last season with Hays. Yanked him from Bowie the day before their playoffs started and sat him on the bench...

As far as the original poster...

Yacabonis, Means, and Kline are ones I really do not see coming up due to innings limit. Kline especially.

Cervenka *might* go on the 40 in the fall/winter, but they won't have 4 catchers up in September. They will also probably look at keeping Caleb on a minor league deal because you want a veteran.

If Araujo is healthy, then yes. But if they want to rest him, they have the option of sending him to the Arizona Fall League.

I'm not sure about Lee. He responded decently, but will need to prove himself in the Spring.

I agree about Yaz, he has been the second best outfielder in Norfolk this season (behind the other one you mentioned, Joey Rickard.) If they are auditioning for spots, I want to see what he can do in the majors. He might just be AAA/AAAA quality, but find out. If he sticks, great. If not, you aren't really losing anything.

I agree with the rest of the list. The only other one I would be questionable on is Flaa. Might want to give him a small break and send him to the AFL.

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Look at the OP and tell me who you are worried about starting the ML clock on.

Fair point.  I don't have a problem at all with the idea, but I'd caution that some of the pitchers may be near their limits...(I did not check)

We are not taking about bringing up Manny or Mussina here.  And while I think Ortiz is one id maybe not start the clock on, I think you also pointed out that he has to be on the 40 this winter anyway.

18 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yacabonis, Means, and Kline are ones I really do not see coming up due to innings limit. Kline especially.

Kline is going to be 27 next month and he has thrown 63 innings this year. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like the O's are about ready to shut Rogers down for the season.   That is even more reason to promote Ortiz.

I am sure the Orioles have a good idea on whom they will be promoting soon.

I think us fans, wish they would tell us more information.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like the O's are about ready to shut Rogers down for the season.   That is even more reason to promote Ortiz.

Sounds like there are lots of injury concerns/innings limits in play with these arms. Which is a good thing because they’ve made it through the season healthy. 

I just don’t see where these guys are going to play. Buck seems pretty adamant with his lineup. We’re going to have to DFA Gentry to keep Buck from playing him. At this point, I just want to see Hays, Mountcastle, and Diaz up. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds like there are lots of injury concerns/innings limits in play with these arms. Which is a good thing because they’ve made it through the season healthy. 

I just don’t see where these guys are going to play. Buck seems pretty adamant with his lineup. We’re going to have to DFA Gentry to keep Buck from playing him. At this point, I just want to see Hays, Mountcastle, and Diaz up. 

Mountcastle and Diaz do not have to be added to the 40 man roster to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.   I doubt they are called up this season.   They will use those spots to protect other players IMO.

Archived