The early returns from the four deadline deals

Frobby

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure.  I mean, everyone should be tradeable.  But you said it yourself, his contract expires after the 2020 season.  I said he'd be good for the next 2-3 years.  Glad you agree with me :) 

Schoop would have good for the team in 2019 yet there was no reason to keep him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I'm thinking we end up with from these deals, as decent nuggets:

Machado >> Kremer

Schoop >> Villar

Britton >> Rogers

Gausman, O'Day >> Mesa, Encarnacion

Could be worse. Guess we'll take what we can get.

7 minutes ago, now said:

Machado >> Kremer

Schoop >> Villar

Britton >> Rogers

Rogers was the third piece of the trade, and seems like he will be a fifth starter at best.  Anything you've seen in particular that would make you think he could be a nugget?  I'm much more excited to see what Tate and Carroll can become.  

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Rogers was the third piece of the trade, and seems like he will be a fifth starter at best.  Anything you've seen in particular that would make you think he could be a nugget?  I'm much more excited to see what Tate and Carroll can become.  

One of the best things about Buck leaving will be the retirement of the term nugget.

45 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

More like not having much hope for Tate or Carroll, so hoping Rogers' moxie translates to some moderate success as a swingman. Admittedly, there's still lots of snow (white noise) in the crystal ball. ;)

On 9/5/2018 at 2:41 PM, Luke-OH said:

Some notes on mechanical or pitch mix changes the Orioles have made with these players after they were acquired.

Jean Carlos Encarnacion had adopted a closed stance at the plate after the first month of the season, after being acquired by the Orioles he abandoned this and went back to a neutral stance and striding open. 

Cody Carroll began throwing a splitter (he had a changeup before, not sure if it was a splitter, but he hadn't been throwing it this year).

Jean Carmona's pre-swing hand motion was reduced greatly.

Dillon Tate (as Frobby mentioned) after one start with Bowie, shifted to throwing a 2S FB as his primary FB as opposed to a pitch he threw infrequently before being acquired.

Dean Kremer is still primarily FB/CB, but he's been throwing his changeup more and it has looked better. Slider usage has been reduced.

Yusniel Diaz shifted his back foot position at the plate, closing it off some, probably a first step to try and get rid of the movement of the rear foot during his swing. 

Are these changes coming about as a result of the Orioles' coaches? If so, that's scary, because most of them are moving in the wrong direction. 

1 hour ago, now said:

Machado >> Kremer

Schoop >> Villar

Britton >> Rogers

You are already giving up on Yusniel Diaz, our #1 prospect?

I also think Ortiz's resume is too strong for him not to have some success. The Brewers fans were not happy to give them up, and that was before Villar started producing.

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

Are these changes coming about as a result of the Orioles' coaches? If so, that's scary, because most of them are moving in the wrong direction. 

Sometimes you have to take a step backward now to take a step forward later.  If you have developed bad habits that will hurt you at higher levels, you need to change your approach, even if in the short run you will struggle while getting used to doing things differently.  Luke's description of mechanical changes made by some of these players give me more hope that they will eventually succeed.  

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You are already giving up on Yusniel Diaz, our #1 prospect?

I also think Ortiz's resume is too strong for him not to have some success. The Brewers fans were not happy to give them up, and that was before Villar started producing.

Sure, anything's possible. I'm going by early returns and then just made a leap of sheer intuition.

15 hours ago, now said:

Machado >> Kremer

Schoop >> Villar

Britton >> Rogers

Edit:::miss interpreted your post 

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

And maybe I wasn't clear. Not so much about those particular players, but more a what-if exercise (to use another Showalterism), to wonder: If this is all we end up for solid players from these trades, will we be happy with the return? I think I'd be satisfied if it panned out like that, with those guys. 

15 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Sometimes you have to take a step backward now to take a step forward later.  If you have developed bad habits that will hurt you at higher levels, you need to change your approach, even if in the short run you will struggle while getting used to doing things differently.  Luke's description of mechanical changes made by some of these players give me more hope that they will eventually succeed.  

I do get that idea - unlearning. But it seems to me that the Orioles have a habit of being the bad teachers... not the masters who must help players "unlearn" inferior techniques, etc. So when WE are doing the unlearning, that concerns me... that was my impression of what was happening. 

On 9/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Bradysburns said:

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

Look at encarnacion right foot.  He’s bailing it out - moving it back ala Robert andino.  That needs to be fixed.

Archived