Loss 108 Special Edition

weams

If you watched the postgame, there was this testy exchange with Buck.   

Showalter when asked about significance of 108th loss: “I heard it yesterday and today. What else is there to talk about? It was as difficult as it was yesterday. Same thing. I look at it ... nothing has changed since yesterday.

“We’ll look back on it and hopefully learn from a lot of things and build from just like we did last time, not to the level of losses you’re talking about, but we learned a lot about things and not to make those same mistakes. I hope that happens again.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/four-unearned-runs-lead-to-club-record-108th-loss.html

Buck gave the reporter another shot at his question, which he rephrased but remained the same.  He responded

“When we were eliminated from winning the division or being in the playoffs, regardless of what it looked like, that’s why we get up in the morning and go to spring training and do all of the things in the offseason. When that possibility is taken away from you, then you start trying to get things out of the season that helps you down the road,” Showalter said. “You’re either playing in October or you’re not. But these types of things (record-breaking losses) make people think how far away you are. Like I said before, those things can change quickly. A lot of things can get better.”

Dan Connolly - https://theathletic.com/533465/2018/09/18/no-fanfare-just-a-historic-108th-loss-for-the-orioles/

I get Buck's frustration in that, we knew this day was coming, and now it's arrived.    Does loss #108 hurt more than 107, 106....?  Why would it? I'd have to imagine that as the losses piled up, it's a painful wound that never gets to heal.  What pithy quote would you expect him to give to sum up the season?  

Soprano, he could've said kind of what Caleb Joseph did, "You know, this team sucked. Period."  That's really Captain Obvious.  We all get that, certainly Buck does.  

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think losing a 108 is a lot worse than losing 90 no matter what Buck's explanation states.  

It is, this is hard to take but these games are more about tomorrow than whether they win or lose.

Last night to me was a positive if you have the right mindset. 

-Bundy pitched well

-Mullins HR

-Mancini 2 hits 

-Stewart first hit plus on base 2 other times. 

The Orioles basically lost because of errors made by a player who hasn’t played in 4 weeks. These games are really more of an extension of spring training 2019 than anything else.  

36 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think losing a 108 is a lot worse than losing 90 no matter what Buck's explanation states.  

I agree. The O's can't beat ANYBODY. Yes, they are evaluating players for next year - but the team struggles to do basic things on an everyday basis. That is incredibly concerning for today and in the future. You'd expect a rebuilding team to show a few flashes of hope - but this team really has none.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

It is, this is hard to take but these games are more about tomorrow than whether they win or lose.

Last night to me was a positive if you have the right mindset. 

-Bundy pitched well

-Mullins HR

-Mancini 2 hits 

-Stewart first hit plus on base 2 other times. 

The Orioles basically lost because of errors made by a player who hasn’t played in 4 weeks. These games are really more of an extension of spring training 2019 than anything else.  

If you rationalize.  Of the guys on the team, if contracts were not an issue who would you even want back next year:  Mullins, Villar, Bundy , Castro and Givens.  It isn't very encouraging.   

1 hour ago, theocean said:

I agree. The O's can't beat ANYBODY. Yes, they are evaluating players for next year - but the team struggles to do basic things on an everyday basis. That is incredibly concerning for today and in the future. You'd expect a rebuilding team to show a few flashes of hope - but this team really has none.

I don’t care about how many games the 2019 Orioles win.  I want to see a team with solid fundamentals and able to play defense.

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ha!  But I want see an Orioles team that can field better than your average little league team.  

Dang.  I thought I was onto something for you.  My Magic 8 Ball says watching little leaguers is a good idea.  As that is the age group that may make up the next competent Oriole team.

Just kidding....I hope.

I'm much more positive about this team now than when the season started.  We all knew it was going to be a disastrous season, but now we're seeing stolen bases, and (attempts at) clutch hitting, and young players with something to prove.  We're looking at a couple of rough years ahead, but if we get back to small ball and solid starting pitching, and away from home run swings on every pitch, I think we have a team to look forward to.

Archived