What is the purpose of AAA?

NewMarketSean

I hear a lot of talk around here about how AAA is stocked with "junk ball pitchers" and that the better pitchers are at AA, with AAA mostly filled with career MiL guys who never could hack it in the majors.

Tony-OH said on another thread that Jordan and Stockstill want to keep Riemold at AA because they think he'll be challenged more there.

So I ask, what is the point of having a AAA level of MiL baseball?

Why not just realign the minors to be one single-A team (Delmarva), a AA team (Frederick) and a AAA team (Bowie, sorry Norfolk it was nice knowing you) and adjust the talent accordingly?

Am I naive? Or could this be a logical point?

IWhy not just realign the minors to be one single-A team (Delmarva), a AA team (Frederick) and a AAA team (Bowie, sorry Norfolk it was nice knowing you) and adjust the talent accordingly?

I assume your comment was meant figuratively vice literally as the teams themselves can't be "realigned" from one league to another...only the Bluefield Orioles (and I am not sure how that works) and the GCL Orioles are owned by the Orioles, the other teams are independantly owned and have contracts with the Major League teams

Maybe AAA has useful screening value for pitchers, even if not so much for hitters. AAA hitters tend to be minor league vets or former marginal big leaguers trying to get back to the show. They are more savvy than your average AA prospect, so they pose a different challenge to a developing pitcher. A pitcher who can't get AAA hitters out surely can't get major league hitters out either.

I think it is a complete myth that AA is harder than AAA. Sure, there are often times better prospects at AA, but there are always better baseball players at AAA, and players who either did play in the majors or are more similar to major league players.

I hear a lot of talk around here about how AAA is stocked with "junk ball pitchers" and that the better pitchers are at AA, with AAA mostly filled with career MiL guys who never could hack it in the majors.

Tony-OH said on another thread that Jordan and Stockstill want to keep Riemold at AA because they think he'll be challenged more there.

So I ask, what is the point of having a AAA level of MiL baseball?

Why not just realign the minors to be one single-A team (Delmarva), a AA team (Frederick) and a AAA team (Bowie, sorry Norfolk it was nice knowing you) and adjust the talent accordingly?

Am I naive? Or could this be a logical point?

Just to be clear, I said Stockstill said that there were better pitching prospects in Double-A and that's why Reimold and Montanez were both still there. I never said anything about Jordan saying anything like this, especially since Jordan does not have any current as to where players are moved within the system.

Maybe AAA has useful screening value for pitchers, even if not so much for hitters. AAA hitters tend to be minor league vets or former marginal big leaguers trying to get back to the show. They are more savvy than your average AA prospect, so they pose a different challenge to a developing pitcher. A pitcher who can't get AAA hitters out surely can't get major league hitters out either.

Yep...Thanks for saving me the time of typing this...

AAA has its uses, especially for some pitching prospects but for the most part, i see no reason for elite prospects to see AAA unless they are very young(like a Rasmus).
So there is no reason for a prospect to face the best competition possible before coming up to the majors?

Because AAA is a harder league than AA across the board.

So there is no reason for a prospect to face the best competition possible before coming up to the majors?

I am not sure I agree with that...AAA is full of guys like Jon Leicester and Rocky Cherry, etc...Guys who are borderline major leaguers.

I agree with the Orioles thoughts that the better, more talented prospects are in AA.

There are, of course, expections to this but having some 28 year old pitching very well in AAA doesn't really do that much for me.

I think the big difference is that AA is stocked mostly with propsects, with some lifers sprinkled in, whereas AAA is mostly lifers with some prospects sprinkled in. Nevertheless, the average lifer is better than the average prospect and so AAA competition is better. There are an awful lot of AAA guys who have had some service time in the majors as compared with AA.

It has never made sense to me to have a lot of players skipping AAA entirely.

I think the big difference is that AA is stocked mostly with propsects, with some lifers sprinkled in, whereas AAA is mostly lifers with some prospects sprinkled in. Nevertheless, the average lifer is better than the average prospect and so AAA competition is better. There are an awful lot of AAA guys who have had some service time in the majors as compared with AA.

It has never made sense to me to have a lot of players skipping AAA entirely.

I totally agree that more often than not there are a higher percentage of prospects at AA and a higher percentage of "lifers" or AAAA type players at AAA. I also agree with your assessment that the average "lifer"/AAAA player is a better baseball player than the average AA prospect.

That's why AAA is harder than AA. Not because there is more raw talent, but because there are more guys who know how to play baseball.

Great post.

I am not sure I agree with that...AAA is full of guys like Jon Leicester and Rocky Cherry, etc...Guys who are borderline major leaguers.

I agree with the Orioles thoughts that the better, more talented prospects are in AA.

There are, of course, expections to this but having some 28 year old pitching very well in AAA doesn't really do that much for me.

Frobby nailed this one.

Of course the 22 y/o putting up decent numbers with good perifs in AA has a better chance of pitching in the majors in 3 years than the 28 y/o guy pitching very well in AAA. But, that 28 y/o is a better player today than that 22 y/o is, and thats why AAA is harder.

I think with an environment as extreme as Norfolk you have to be very careful when evaluating guys that play there. A flyball hitter whose game is essentially power like Reimold or Scott Moore or Jon Knott might have an especially rough go there compared to dude who just hits rockets everywhere, whereas a guy like Tillman might put up a 45-inning scoreless streak, especially with what amounts to 3 centerfielders on defense out there where Chorye Spoone might not see the same benefits due to his being an extreme groundballer.

[b]Player       AA  AAA[/b]Longoria    131   38Ellsbury     67   87Chamberlain   8    3Smith        23   11Johnson      28   27Soto        104  309Jurrjens     31    0Cueto        10    4Bruce        16   99Kershaw      17    0---Pedroia      66  162D. Young     84  138Bannister    26   14Willits     123  107Fields      134  232Braun        59   34Tulowitzki  104    0Pence       136   25C. Young    126  100K. Kendrick  12    0---Verlander     7    0Papelbon     14    7Liriano      20   30Weaver        8   12Markakis     33    0H. Ramirez   32  122Zimmerman    63    0Uggla       218    0Johnson      31    0Cain         15   26

Archived