Good Riddance

Rich Mac

16 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

A word on timing.

The Orioles need to have a GM (apart from what that person's title is) by the winter meetings. There was a post a while back about MLB inquiring about who's in charge of the Orioles, but saying or at least implying there was no urgency, and I think that's also geared to make sure a single authorized representative (presumably John or Lou Angelos), who can speak for the team, is designated by then.

But the decision whether to offer Duquette a new contract should have been made weeks, if not months, ago. And if he's not coming back, the search for a new GM should have begun long ago. That process should be completed and a new GM hired in the next month. If it's an outsider -- and I've seen nothing to suggest that there is a qualified successor to Duquette inside the Oriole organization -- that person will have a lot of work to be done in becoming familiar with the organization, the other front-office personnel and hiring needs, the coaching staff, minor-league managers, coaches and instructors, international free agents the Orioles are pursuing (if any), the financial constraints that will govern the team, etc. Having a newcomer walk into the GM job right before the winter meetings seems like a real bad idea. 

I would be surprised if we did not have a GM named within the next few weeks.  

Whatever happened to Ned Coletti?  Was there any truth to him interviewing this summer?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived