Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

18 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

You're pretty far off the mark here. It was very clear to see that Manny was deliberate in dragging his foot to make sure he caught Aguilar's ankle. Looking at the angle from down the right field line, Manny's foot drags almost out of the baseline... wouldn't have mattered where Aguilar's foot was on the base.. it was going to get kicked. There's really no defending Manny for this play.

I thought Aguilar handles himself well both on the field and in front of the media.  But he kept his foot on the bag an awfully long time.  He catches the ball before Manny makes his stride with his right leg.  First basemen are taught to get their foot out of the way.  He also has his heel far back on the bag.  If he receives the ball like a fundamentally sound first baseman should, then Manny wouldn't have made contact with him without kicking his left leg out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, Manny is a bit of a douche.  I agree, a little disingenuous.  

But, I still like him.  Still want to see him win.  

Dunno, it's kinda like...I feel like we've never had a player that other teams and other fans love to hate.  We've mostly had a bunch of choir boys who aren't controversial.  Jones, as much as I love him, is a hell of a guy and lovable.  Nick was straight up boring, but we all loved his quiet professionalism.   Brian Roberts, choir boy.  Wieters, quiet professional.  I'm struggling to think of anyone that we had over the past few years that got on the other teams nerves.

But I don't care what anyone says, it's fun to be the villain sometimes.  Red Sox, perfect example...how much did we LOOOOOOATHE Ortiz?  Pedroia?  I can't stand either of those guys.  But we all know that if we were Red Sox fans, we'd LOVE them.  And we'd also love that other fans HATE them.  I loved knowing that other teams and fans hated Manny.  

Even though Manny is gone, I still view him as one of ours.  Probably will for awhile.  And I love that he's the villain.   

Yep. 

13 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I thought Aguilar handles himself well both on the field and in front of the media.  But he kept his foot on the bag an awfully long time.  He catches the ball before Manny makes his stride with his right leg.  First basemen are taught to get their foot out of the way.  He also has his heel far back on the bag.  If he receives the ball like a fundamentally sound first baseman should, then Manny wouldn't have made contact with him without kicking his left leg out.

It really doesn't matter what Aguilar did as long as he gave Manny plenty of space to run through the bag.. and he did. This play happens very frequently in every baseball game without incident. Manny was looking down at the bag the whole time. He knew exactly where Aguilar's foot was and knew exactly what he was doing.

I don't know how anyone can look at that replay and honestly say that Manny doesn't deliberately drag his foot to make sure he kicks Aguilar. It's only slightly less subtle than when he threw his bat against the A's.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right because he didn't dog it to first, throw a bat and get suspended for fighting under Buck.

He had the Donaldson outburst.  I don't think he was in the wrong with Boston.  Other than not hustling some, he seemed to behave under Buck.  In this series, he hasn't just not hustled but also grabbed a leg while sliding into second and kicked a foot while running to first.  Would this have happened with Buck?  Maybe.  But the larger point here is that he is doing the type of garbage A-Rod did (slapping at the glove, yelling "I got it"), and we know the two are very close.

26 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Yeah, so the correct thing for Machado to do would be to say something after crossing the bag, not kick his foot on purpose.  That is the issue with Manny, it isn't like after this happened he went to Aguilar and told him he is sorry but Aguilar has to move his foot quicker because it is dangerous.  

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

I'll say it.  If it was Chris Taylor running, makes contact with Aguilar, and rolls his ankle, then the narrative is that Aguilar had his foot too far back on the bag for too long.

But it's Manny.  And, oh my, his hair!

I understand Aguilar getting upset, and I understand Yelich's comments.  The Donaldson series of events will continue to follow him through his career.  And of course Pedroia gets hurt on a legal slide and it's Manny's fault, so he should get fastballs thrown up around his head.

But if I was Milwaukee, I'd try to prevent him from getting on base 40% of the time so he can't score the winning run.

He kicked him on purpose.  It is obvious.  The Pedroia thing he was completely innocent and the Sox were out of control.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

He had the Donaldson outburst.  I don't think he was in the wrong with Boston.  Other than not hustling some, he seemed to behave under Buck.  In this series, he hasn't just not hustled but also grabbed a leg while sliding into second and kicked a foot while running to first.  Would this have happened with Buck?  Maybe.  But the larger point here is that he is doing the type of garbage A-Rod did (slapping at the glove, yelling "I got it"), and we know the two are very close.

My Md high school baseball coach was teaching this back in the 1970s as a way to confuse the runners. I lost count of how many maryland state baseball championships his teams won back then.

But, heck lets blame A-Rod.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

My Md high school baseball coach was teaching this back in the 1970s as a way to confuse the runners. I lost count of how many maryland state baseball championships his teams won back then.

Are you really comparing what is acceptable in high school players to the pros?  There wasn't a single pro that defended A-Rod.  

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, Manny is a bit of a douche.  I agree, a little disingenuous.  

But, I still like him.  Still want to see him win.  

Dunno, it's kinda like...I feel like we've never had a player that other teams and other fans love to hate.  We've mostly had a bunch of choir boys who aren't controversial.  Jones, as much as I love him, is a hell of a guy and lovable.  Nick was straight up boring, but we all loved his quiet professionalism.   Brian Roberts, choir boy.  Wieters, quiet professional.  I'm struggling to think of anyone that we had over the past few years that got on the other teams nerves.

But I don't care what anyone says, it's fun to be the villain sometimes.  Red Sox, perfect example...how much did we LOOOOOOATHE Ortiz?  Pedroia?  I can't stand either of those guys.  But we all know that if we were Red Sox fans, we'd LOVE them.  And we'd also love that other fans HATE them.  I loved knowing that other teams and fans hated Manny.  

Even though Manny is gone, I still view him as one of ours.  Probably will for awhile.  And I love that he's the villain.   

I agree a bit. I posted earlier that he will become the most hated ex-Oriole of all time if he goes to the Yankees and I think that's true, but I won't hate him...too much! :) Some attitude is not bad in competitive sports. And Manny was already a villain to Oakland and Toronto fans as well as some fans of other teams when he was an Oriole. They didn't see replay after replay of him and Schoop acting like happy school boys, they saw replays of him being a jerk or near jerk. 

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I'm willing to bet serious money that you would be irked if A-Rod, Ortiz, etc., did that to an Orioles first basemen. 

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Are you really comparing what is acceptable in high school players to the pros?  There wasn't a single pro that defended A-Rod.  

what I meant was, tricks like that have been around long before A-Rod did it.

things happen all the time on the field between the players during the season, that we never catch on to,

Sometimes it somebody on the bench yelling go at the running holding at third trying to tag up and score after the ball is caught.

Even stupid things like the hidden ball trick has been pulled off at the major league level.

I hear you all. I usually still root for former Orioles too, but I just can't bring myself to do it with Machado. The way he handled this past season, starting with all but forcing them to move him to SS, really left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm almost hoping the Yankees sign him so I'm never tempted to have a change of heart. 

To the people defending his antics, legal or not legal, "good" players typically don't resort to this type of stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Looked dirty to me. He was looking down at the bag. He had also started to slow down so he should have had enough body control to get out of the way. Aguilar's foot was barely on the bag, plenty of room for Manny to get by.

That said, I don't know why they don't have a side bag at first base like they do for our youth league so the kids can run through without any fear of contact.