Poll: Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

Greg Pappas

Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

This discussion of the merits of each city seems to also not point out a difference in the INCOME TAX structure of the differing states.  One would need to make more $$$ to off-set the higher tax from one state to the other. Maryland would have a 5.75% Income Tax as opposed to a ZERO Income Tax in Florida.  For every $1,000 in salary in Florida , Maryland would have to pay another $60.00 to off-set the income Tax. I also would need to add the Baltimore City Income Tax of $32.00 per $1,000.  That is a loss of near 10% if signing with the Orioles.

I also believe that the older brother (Victor Victor) would like to be on the Forty Man Roster when signed so as to assure his chances to be on the Twenty-Five permanently or a free agent sooner.  If within three years he uses up his Options, all the better.

Edited by thezeroes
City Tax
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

This discussion of the merits of each city seems to also not point out a difference in the INCOME TAX structure of the differing states.  One would need to make more $$$ to off-set the higher tax from one state to the other. Maryland would have a 5.75% Income Tax as opposed to a ZERO Income Tax in Florida.  For every $1,000 in salary in Florida , Maryland would have to pay another $60.00 to off-set the income Tax. I also would need to add the Baltimore City Income Tax of $32.00 per $1,000.  That is a loss of near 10% if signing with the Orioles.

I also believe that the older brother (Victor Victor) would like to be on the Forty Man Roster when signed so as to assure his chances to be on the Twenty-Five permanently or a free agent sooner.  If within three years he uses up his Options, all the better.

I asked this before.  Wouldn't signing bonus count against home of record not work location? 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He isn't going to be working in the State of Maryland this calendar year.  Heck he might not step foot in Maryland this year.

I do not have the expertise to know how the Income Tax structure within Maryland works.  I do know that in Pennsylvania and New York the Income Tax paid in one state off sets what you owe in the other. NY is slightly higher than Pa so if you live in Pa, work in NY, your tax in pa off-sets what is owed in NY.  You just owe NY the difference.

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

A true signing bonus is not apportioned as part of wages and is generally taxed to the athlete’s state of residence, which in many cases results in a more favorable outcome.

In summary, your signing bonus is taxed in the states you play NOT only your resident state.

Bonus payments are typically split 50/50 and paid over 2 years. Accelerating or deferring the bonus into uneven payments can generally reduce the overall liability, depending on the circumstances.

My take is that if the O's accelerate it into a one year payment than VVM will not be taxed since he will not be playing games this year.