The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, weams said:

I am unconvinced that  many 16 year olds that throw that hard have not enhanced. 

I don't disagree.  I also just don't care who enhances and who doesn't.  I used to fret over it, but it's wasted emotion.

But if 30+ years ago a 19 year old Dwight Gooden was throwing in the high 90s I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there's a phenom 16 year old out there who can hit 100.  

I hope they're doing it clean but as I said, I don't care anymore.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree.  I also just don't care who enhances and who doesn't.  I used to fret over it, but it's wasted emotion.

But if 30+ years ago a 19 year old Dwight Gooden was throwing in the high 90s I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there's a phenom 16 year old out there who can hit 100.  

I hope they're doing it clean but as I said, I don't care anymore.

We all know I don't care about the pros using PEDs.  But I do think that kids using them is a bit different and it can have long term repercussions.

19 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I'm not arguing that this might be the case, it just seems kind of an odd way to go about it. Wait until the day after the showcase to go scrounging for bonus rights. If the Marlins called me in October asking for my international money, I would set the asking price high....even if couldn't use my extra chits...just to watch them squirm. On the other hand, if the brothers have basically already signed for what the Marlins have in hand then why are they jumping around?

Maybe the Marlins only wanted VVM and the tryout sold them on JR so the additional money is for him?

Maybe the O's made an offer higher than the Marlins total so the Mesa camp came back and told them, give us everything you can or we go to Baltimore?

It certainly looks like money is a factor.  Makes one wonder if the O's don't come away if that slot money they gave away would have been a difference maker.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We all know I don't care about the pros using PEDs.  But I do think that kids using them is a bit different and it can have long term repercussions.

It is reported that they start them on them as young as 9. 

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe the Marlins only wanted VVM and the tryout sold them on JR so the additional money is for him?

Maybe the O's made an offer higher than the Marlins total so the Mesa camp came back and told them, give us everything you can or we go to Baltimore?

It certainly looks like money is a factor.  Makes one wonder if the O's don't come away if that slot money they gave away would have been a difference maker.

That bonus money they traded is bizarre.

Although, it is a fitting book end to Dan's Orioles tenure. One of his early transactions on the job was to sign Pat Neshek in January of 2012. He then sold Pat to the playoff bound Athletics in August of that year for the proverbial "cash considerations". My memory is fuzzy, but Neshek was doing well (although I think in the minors). I definitely remember being puzzled as to why we just gave him away for nothing when he obviously seemed to have value. Maybe this is Dan's aloha move?

Archived