Midseason Mission Statement

Can_of_corn

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

1) They are in the middle of a major search and decision. I dont know why you feel like they need to rush or offer you play by play on their efforts. This thought process by fans here that ownership owes them regular updates is absurd. From someone that has hired and fired people for a number of years .... It just doesn't work that way for many reasons that those of you just wouldn't understand!

2) The Orioles can't help that the Mesa's and Gaston wanted to play in Florida. The money being offered was not much different bewteen the two teams. The Mesas waited for the Marlins to come up with the money to sign and Gaston took money from the other available team. The Orioles couldn't make either sign here as the players under the current system have a ton of control. If Gaston had signed with Philly, Boston, or New York you might have a valid argument.

3) They have stated that they are hiring a new management team that includes a President and a new GM. So if the new President will truly be in control of the baseball decision its fair to say that the "Plan" is pending the new hire. What part of that don't you understand? Its not rocket science!

4) How do you know this? By all accounts Brian Graham and Brady have been handling Orioles business in the interim. The fates of them and other employees will and should be determined by the new President. Again common sense right?

5) Thats because the new baseball leaders will make those decisions ....You obviously don't get it!

Your opinion based on an entitled point of view that has no merit and not logically thinking about the situation.

Look ... I am not just busting your balls. The Angelos brothers have watched their father run this team for years. I'd be willing to bet that they've seen the error in many of the mistakes that they he made. In addition, the lack of success despite the wealth of resources says plenty. The inability to fix the drafting and development that was broken when Peter purchased the Orioles and imo never fixed has to be an issue. You or I could've drafted better than the Orioles did over 20+ years by just pulling names out of a hat!

The sons have been handed a business to run worth 600 million dollars +/- . They sent their acting GM out to make statements about changes that they want to make moving forward. They fired that GM and their manager in a performance based business after the duo produced historically bad results.

They've said they are replacing Duquette with a new President and also will hire a GM. Once in place the President will be allowed to hire his own people from the GM down. That includes assistants Gms, scouts, coaching staffs, and a manager. So yes everyone is currently left wondering and I'd be more concerned if assurances were being made without the new baseball chief in place.

The Orioles are not expected to be a player in free agency and therefore there is no rush! As bad as the organization has been in all aspects I'm not concerned about losing any of them.

Very sensible post. It's true. There is nothing needing to be done.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

1) They are in the middle of a major search and decision. I dont know why you feel like they need to rush or offer you play by play on their efforts. This thought process by fans here that ownership owes them regular updates is absurd. From someone that has hired and fired people for a number of years .... It just doesn't work that way for many reasons that those of you just wouldn't understand!

2) The Orioles can't help that the Mesa's and Gaston wanted to play in Florida. The money being offered was not much different bewteen the two teams. The Mesas waited for the Marlins to come up with the money to sign and Gaston took money from the other available team. The Orioles couldn't make either sign here as the players under the current system have a ton of control. If Gaston had signed with Philly, Boston, or New York you might have a valid argument.

3) They have stated that they are hiring a new management team that includes a President and a new GM. So if the new President will truly be in control of the baseball decision its fair to say that the "Plan" is pending the new hire. What part of that don't you understand? Its not rocket science!

4) How do you know this? By all accounts Brian Graham and Brady have been handling Orioles business in the interim. The fates of them and other employees will and should be determined by the new President. Again common sense right?

5) Thats because the new baseball leaders will make those decisions ....You obviously don't get it!

Your opinion based on an entitled point of view that has no merit and not logically thinking about the situation.

Look ... I am not just busting your balls. The Angelos brothers have watched their father run this team for years. I'd be willing to bet that they've seen the error in many of the mistakes that they he made. In addition, the lack of success despite the wealth of resources says plenty. The inability to fix the drafting and development that was broken when Peter purchased the Orioles and imo never fixed has to be an issue. You or I could've drafted better than the Orioles did over 20+ years by just pulling names out of a hat!

The sons have been handed a business to run worth 600 million dollars +/- . They sent their acting GM out to make statements about changes that they want to make moving forward. They fired that GM and their manager in a performance based business after the duo produced historically bad results.

They've said they are replacing Duquette with a new President and also will hire a GM. Once in place the President will be allowed to hire his own people from the GM down. That includes assistants Gms, scouts, coaching staffs, and a manager. So yes everyone is currently left wondering and I'd be more concerned if assurances were being made without the new baseball chief in place.

The Orioles are not expected to be a player in free agency and therefore there is no rush! As bad as the organization has been in all aspects I'm not concerned about losing any of them.

A few thoughts:

1.  The Ravens have a "State of the Ravens" press conference every year, the owner participates, it is very well received.  The O's needed to do something like that to get their message out regarding plans.  They need all the good publicity that they can get to help sell tickets for what is going to be a lousy product.  Nothing wrong with presenting a plan in general with loose time frames regarding the hiring of someone to oversee baseball operations who will then hire a GM and manager.  The lack of new Baseball people could have resulted in losing the Cuban prospects, we will never know.  Granted, it is important to make sure the right person is hired instead of any person, even if it takes time.  Of course finding a quality someone to take the O's job could be a challenge given ownerships history of interfering with baseball operations. 

2.  The Mesa's wanted to play in Florida, no doubt, of course the O's did not give them a reason to sign with them because they offered less money.  Same for Gaston.  Don't trade for the slot money and give up Gausman if you were going to let yourself be outbid.  Is that on DD, the brothers, both?  If the Orioles offered the most money and they sign elsewhere, so be it, see Syd's confederate money comment. 

3.  We have known since the middle of the summer that the Mesa's were going to become available sometime in the fall.  When did the O's make the decision to part ways with DD?  If they knew in the summer that DD was not coming back (maybe they didn't know), why didn't the search for new mgmt. start sooner?

4.  per Ross Grimsley on 105.7 on Wednesday night, he has been told that no one in the O's organization knows what is going on or what their status is after 10/31.  Employees are asking reporters if they know anything.  The concern is the employees do not know if they have a job come 11/1, they are nervous, they have been told nothing.  They do not know if they should stay or go.  Currently other teams are filling positions.  Since they are baseball people, they are concerned that they may be at the dance and stuck without a dance partner.  Possibly people the O's may want to retain, could leave. 

5.  I fully realize that the new baseball people will make all those decisions. 

9 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

A few thoughts:

1.  The Ravens have a "State of the Ravens" press conference every year, the owner participates, it is very well received.  The O's needed to do something like that to get their message out regarding plans.  They need all the good publicity that they can get to help sell tickets for what is going to be a lousy product.  Nothing wrong with presenting a plan in general with loose time frames regarding the hiring of someone to oversee baseball operations who will then hire a GM and manager.  The lack of new Baseball people could have resulted in losing the Cuban prospects, we will never know.  Granted, it is important to make sure the right person is hired instead of any person, even if it takes time.  Of course finding a quality someone to take the O's job could be a challenge given ownerships history of interfering with baseball operations. 

2.  The Mesa's wanted to play in Florida, no doubt, of course the O's did not give them a reason to sign with them because they offered less money.  Same for Gaston.  Don't trade for the slot money and give up Gausman if you were going to let yourself be outbid.  Is that on DD, the brothers, both?  If the Orioles offered the most money and they sign elsewhere, so be it, see Syd's confederate money comment. 

3.  We have known since the middle of the summer that the Mesa's were going to become available sometime in the fall.  When did the O's make the decision to part ways with DD?  If they knew in the summer that DD was not coming back (maybe they didn't know), why didn't the search for new mgmt. start sooner?

4.  per Ross Grimsley on 105.7 on Wednesday night, he has been told that no one in the O's organization knows what is going on or what their status is after 10/31.  Employees are asking reporters if they know anything.  The concern is the employees do not know if they have a job come 11/1, they are nervous, they have been told nothing.  They do not know if they should stay or go.  Currently other teams are filling positions.  Since they are baseball people, they are concerned that they may be at the dance and stuck without a dance partner.  Possibly people the O's may want to retain, could leave. 

Ravens are not my model.

10 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

A few thoughts:

There is no one that I would want to keep it they wish to leave. I don't want to be part of an organization that decided baseball ops issues without a head of baseball ops.

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

A few thoughts:

1) The Orioles are not the Ravens and MLB is not the level playing field of the NFL. The Angelos' sons dont owe us anything for their fathers sins. As long as they hire good baseball people, give them a budget and allow them to do the job it would be a major improvement. Neither sons has to be a public figure/voice IMO.

2) How do you know for sure what the Orioles offered to Mesa? If his agent told the Orioles that he was signing with Miami why bother? I suspect the Orioles were offering VVM the most as some point as the Marlins had to go out and find more INT dollars. The Orioles put a number on Gastons value and keep in mind that he failed a PED test. I'm okay with them not offering more than the Rays. They've signed 4 guys today and hopefully will sign more before the money disappears next June.

3) Maybe they were hoping for some improvement post trade deadline. Did you know that most teams actually perform better historically after a purge. The Orioles were pitiful and even after the sell off and perhaps ownership was on the fence about Dan at that point.

4) This really doesnt matter! The new President and his GM will decide who they keep. If anyone wants to walk between now and then I'm not concerned. I dont put much stock in Ross Grimsley or any other broadcaster. I dont expect them to have any inside info and don't care about their opinion. If Im an employee hired by the previous manager or GM I wouldnt feel secure and would be looking for work.

5) I just don't see the rush that you and others see! We are not going to be major players in free agency. I would want the new scouting and development people in place asap .... But theres no rush

Archived