69 members have voted

1. 1. Who are #1-5 prospects for 2018

• DL Hall, Mountcastle, Diaz, Rodriguez, Akin
    • Mountcastle, DL Hall, Diaz, Ortiz, Rodriguez
    • DL Hall, Rodriguez, Mountcastle, Kremer, Diaz
    • Diaz, DL Hall, Mountcastle, Rodriguez, McKenna
    • DL Hall, Mountcastle, Diaz, Rodriguez, Kremer

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/18 at 05:00

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess this is as good a spot as any to note the differences between the new official OH top 10 and the list that Luke last updated back on Aug. 25 (but was started earlier than that).    My question ( in each case) is, are the differences mostly due to later developments that changed Luke's opinions, or because Tony's own opinions and opinions from other sources changed the rankings.

1.  DJ Hall (current projected likely grade: 60); Luke had him ranked 3rd at 55.   This certainly looks like a case where Hall's strong finish bumped him up.

2.  Grayson Rodriguez 60; Luke had him ranked 7th at 50.

3.  Ryan Mountcastle 55; Luke had him ranked 1st at 55.

4.  Dean Kremer 55; Luke had him 13th at 50.

5.  Yusniel Diaz 55; Luke had him 2nd at 55.

6.  Austin Hays 50; Luke had him 4th at 50.

7.  Hunter Harvey 50; Luke had him 6th at 50.

8.  Zac Lowther 50; Luke had him 14th at 50.

9.  Blaine Knight 50; Luke had him 17th at 45.

10.  Brenan Hanifee 50; Luke had him 12th at 50.  

Other guys who were in Luke's top 10 but aren't currently there:  Luis Ortiz (ranked 5th at 50); Ryan McKenna (ranked 8th at 50); Dillon Tate (ranked 9th at 50); and Keegan Akin (ranked 10th at 50).

I note that even though the order had changed, the only grade differences are Hall (60 up from 55), Rodriguez (60 up from 50), Kremer (55 up from 50), and Knight (50 up from 45).    Nice to see that the changes are in a positive direction.

Luke had input into the official final list, but the difference is that the official final list includes my thoughts that take into consideration my own scouting and comments from scouts/player development people. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess this is as good a spot as any to note the differences between the new official OH top 10 and the list that Luke last updated back on Aug. 25 (but was started earlier than that).    My question ( in each case) is, are the differences mostly due to later developments that changed Luke's opinions, or because Tony's own opinions and opinions from other sources changed the rankings.

1.  DJ Hall (current projected likely grade: 60); Luke had him ranked 3rd at 55.   This certainly looks like a case where Hall's strong finish bumped him up.

2.  Grayson Rodriguez 60; Luke had him ranked 7th at 50.

3.  Ryan Mountcastle 55; Luke had him ranked 1st at 55.

4.  Dean Kremer 55; Luke had him 13th at 50.

5.  Yusniel Diaz 55; Luke had him 2nd at 55.

6.  Austin Hays 50; Luke had him 4th at 50.

7.  Hunter Harvey 50; Luke had him 6th at 50.

8.  Zac Lowther 50; Luke had him 14th at 50.

9.  Blaine Knight 50; Luke had him 17th at 45.

10.  Brenan Hanifee 50; Luke had him 12th at 50.  

Other guys who were in Luke's top 10 but aren't currently there:  Luis Ortiz (ranked 5th at 50); Ryan McKenna (ranked 8th at 50); Dillon Tate (ranked 9th at 50); and Keegan Akin (ranked 10th at 50).

I note that even though the order had changed, the only grade differences are Hall (60 up from 55), Rodriguez (60 up from 50), Kremer (55 up from 50), and Knight (50 up from 45).    Nice to see that the changes are in a positive direction.

I made some changes after further thought and review of video and stats, but like Tony said, there is weight put on the organizational view of players from Tony’s sources along with Tony’s own scouting opinions in the OH list. 

I’m not going to go down the list and say all of the guys I had higher or lower now because that would take away from the list. Even the parts of the list I differed on, I understand the justifications for those rankings. I will say McKenna is one guy I had a bit higher, but the reasoning that he’s not in the top 10 is that it’s really an open question whether he’ll hit enough gaps to keep his BB rate, if he doesn’t he’s probably a 4th OF. Different people view his chances of getting to his fringe to average raw in game differently.

Edit: The answer to the question is both. My rankings changed and then Tony and I had a substantial (2+ hour) conversation about the differences in our lists. Those discussions lead to Tony’s final list which combines his own scouting, input from sources, and input from me.

Archived