Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Data point alpha: Jack Zoellner.

Data point beta:  Roch reporting that the O's offer for VVM was not competitive with the Marlins' offer. (post Dan obviously)

I always wondered if the Jack Zoellner trade was essentially a flare shot up by DD before the ship completely sank to let us know that he was lied to about being able to spend the intl money and it was all a ruse.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I always wondered if the Jack Zoellner trade was essentially a flare shot up by DD before the ship completely sank to let us know that he was lied to about being able to spend the intl money and it was all a ruse.

I'm sure he would  answer that if asked. 

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Corn thinks the Mexicas will get cleared.  And to his credit, they might. I on the other hand do not think Mike Elias would like to spend six million dollars on anything other than staff right now. 

Or a couple Cubans.  Maybe someone out of Asia.  Still have six months.

12 minutes ago, weams said:

I can't imagine at this point. His contract expired and was not renewed. I am not aware of any personal or professional restrictions that he would have. 

You don’t see many baseball execs giving details of what happened during their former employment.    Maybe they are under NDA’s; maybe they think that being loose-lipped will hinder future employment. 

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You don’t see many baseball execs giving details of what happened during their former employment.    Maybe they are under NDA’s; maybe they think that being loose-lipped will hinder future employment. 

I also expect that if he was dismissed in part because he was not permitted to successfully complete transactions that he was promised that he had resources that were later pulled out from under him that he would let someone know. It's a direct accusation aimed at the Angelos Brothers that Dan could confirm or deny if asked. I think he can still be reached through his Academy. I know he has recently responded to Dan Connolly. 

Maybe ME and others think that Jackson is worth the 50k more than any available international player. I would imagine that if they thought that 50k could bring back a international player with more value than Jackson than they would. They still have until June to add international talent but basically today was the cutoff for Jackson. This move in no way shape or form states Elias is not in control but you can read into it and spin it anyway you see fit just to meet your agenda.

The lack of O’s international presence is no excuse of us not adding players this year by stating we don’t have the presence Elias I’m sure from his time in Houston and his many contacts knows that market quite well he doesn’t need our scouts. I fully expect that if there is talent and value there that will help the O’s this year we will spend the money but doubt that they will spend it just for the sake of spending because it’s there. Even though the 6mill is available for international players if we don’t spend it that money can be used in other areas. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As someone else asked, than why did the Phillies trade for it?  The slots are good for another six months.

They traded nothing.   If they didn't want to take someone in the Rule 5 draft, they traded nothing for something that is likely to be nothing.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he was told we are only willing to spend X on the international market.  I don't think Elias has the power to distribute the total funds as he sees fit.  I think he has a group of smaller pools instead of one large pool.

You don't admit the possibility, given knowledge gained while working with the Astros, that there is no one in the international market worth spending the remainder of our allotment on?   Or at least not worth more than spending that money in other ways, such as hiring scouts, staffing an anlaytics department, improving minor league facilities, etc?

No one disputes that he probably has a total budget to work with.   And he has said he is going to invest in this organization, which we know is deficient in many areas.   If he has legitimately looked at the international free agents and decided that spending ALL of the cap room we have on it would not be worth as much as spending some of that money somewhere else, then he basically just gave away nothing to get a rule 5 player.   (And the Phillies, if they did not want a rule 5 guy on their roster, gave away nothing to get some cap space).  

So one possibility is that ownership has lied about giving him carte blanche and he is dealing the cap room because of that.   And the other is that it was a situation where a team put zero value on Rule 5 players traded a rule 5 draft spot to a team that has decided that, in its overall budget, there was not enough talent left before June to justify spending our entire cap space on compared to spending that money on other ways of improving our organization.   A win-win trade (albeit a small-win/small-win) for both teams.

When in doubt, and when there is no evidence whatsoever that we are being lied to, I say take the deal at face value.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You don't admit the possibility, given knowledge gained while working with the Astros, that there is no one in the international market worth spending the remainder of our allotment on?   Or at least not worth more than spending that money in other ways, such as hiring scouts, staffing an anlaytics department, improving minor league facilities, etc?

No one disputes that he probably has a total budget to work with.   And he has said he is going to invest in this organization, which we know is deficient in many areas.   If he has legitimately looked at the international free agents and decided that spending ALL of the cap room we have on it would not be worth as much as spending some of that money somewhere else, then he basically just gave away nothing to get a rule 5 player.   (And the Phillies, if they did not want a rule 5 guy on their roster, gave away nothing to get some cap space).  

So one possibility is that ownership has lied about giving him carte blanche and he is dealing the cap room because of that.   And the other is that it was a situation where a team put zero value on Rule 5 players traded a rule 5 draft spot to a team that has decided that, in its overall budget, there was not enough talent left before June to justify spending our entire cap space on compared to spending that money on other ways of improving our organization.   A win-win trade (albeit a small-win/small-win) for both teams.

When in doubt, and when there is no evidence whatsoever that we are being lied to, I say take the deal at face value.

Sure, I admit it is a possibility.  But the slots are good for six more months and things could change.  Have we heard how much was sent?  Obviously things are different if they sent 250K or if they send 2M.

Archived