Orioles Entertainment?

AceKing

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Parquet Courts just recently played the BSO.  I only know 4 of those bands I must be losing touch with what is cool these days. 

Actually know 5.  Boygenius is that "super group". 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, bobmc said:

That's what @Can of Corn does but he never wants them to be anything but "niche".  ?

I remember when I was working at a college radio station when tube radios were big.  i heard many a time that this band they thought they discovered became somewhat commercial,they would say they are too popular now and suck and sold out. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

You forgot the biggest of them all:  Beach House.  Also Wye Oak is pretty big.   And Animal Collective and Yeasayer members are originally from Baltimore and I am sure playing Camden Yards would appeal to them. 

I love Celebration but I don't think they would drive anybody to the ball park.  

Love me some Wye Oak. They went to my alma mater! Casual fans might recognized their song "Civilian" that was featured in the Season 4 (?) Walking Dead promo. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This list says "I was listening to these guys before they got famous." 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You guys are getting old! (and so am I). If you like the Lumineers and Monsters and Men you should check out the Highwater Festival in Charleston, SC this spring. As for me, I've been having a bit of a musical mid-life crisis so I've really been trying to listen to new stuff lately. I made a best of 2018 playlist on Spotify. If you're interested send me a message and I'll send you a link. Off the top of my head, here here some of my favorite songs of 2018. Now back to baseball...

1) Superorganism "Everybody Wants to be Famous"

2) Boygenius "Bite the Hand"

3) Ty Segall "Lady on Fire"

4) Dirty Projectors "Break Thru"

5) Yuno "No Going Back"

6) The Kills "List of Demands"

7) Yuno "No Going Back"

? Parquet Courts "Wide Awake"

9) Addictions" Lucy Dacus

10) Cautious Clay "Cold War

Again, happy to share my 2018 playlist if you want to check any of them out. Just message me. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed!

91. Indonesian beer drinking songs
92. Lullabye renditions of music by '80s hair bands
93. Barbershop quintets
94. The Cheyenne, Wyoming rap scene
95. Debbie Gibson's holiday albums
96. Uzbek folk music
97. Tuvan throat singing (should be higher, need to revise list)
98.  Atonal, arrhythmic noise bands
99. Grindcore bands with parrots as lead singers
100. Viking prog rock

Contemporary country is somewhere below that.

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

91. Indonesian beer drinking songs
92. Lullabye renditions of music by '80s hair bands
93. Barbershop quintets
94. The Cheyenne, Wyoming rap scene
95. Debbie Gibson's holiday albums
96. Uzbek folk music
97. Tuvan throat singing (should be higher, need to revise list)
98.  Atonal, arrhythmic noise bands
99. Grindcore bands with parrots as lead singers
100. Viking prog rock

Contemporary country is somewhere below that.

I am not a fan of contemporary country but I love classic country.  Sadly most of the classic artists are gone.  Lorreta Lynn is still around but she might not be touring anymore.  Emmylou Harris is still though.  I saw Ricki Skaggs with his wife's band the Whites at the Grand Ole Opry and they were pretty good. 

Is Gillian Welch considered country? I wouldn't mind seeing her or Allison Kraus.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not a fan of contemporary country but I love classic country.  Sadly most of the classic artists are gone.  Lorreta Lynn is still around but she might not be touring anymore.  Emmylou Harris is still though.  I saw Ricki Skaggs with his wife's band the Whites at the Grand Ole Opry and they were pretty good. 

Is Gillian Welch considered country? I wouldn't mind seeing her or Allison Kraus.

I'd say Welch is closer to classic country. You should really check out Shovels & Rope and maybe Shakey Graves. Start with songs like The Devil is All Around, Birmingham, and Dearly Departed. 

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd say Welch is closer to classic country. You should really check out Shovels & Rope and maybe Shakey Graves. Start with songs like The Devil is All Around, Birmingham, and Dearly Departed

I saw Shovels and Rope at the 2013 Newport Folk Fesitval and enjoyed their set but never have listened to them otherwise.  Thanks for the recommendation and I will give them some further listening.  

Archived