Orioles sign Nate Karns

interloper

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I'm guessing this is not the type of signing you'd hoped from Elias? Haha. IMO it's pretty much a perfect signing.

No actually I think its a good signing for Elias.   Its pretty hard to get any FA pitcher to sign with the O's because of Camden Yards and that the team is expected to lose 100 games.   Put on top of that the fact that the O's are not going to spend much and I am glad he was able to get someone with major league experience even if he does only start 8 games.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know.

Was mine?

Tillman does live in Sarasota.

I knew yours was. Wasn’t sure you knew mine was. Still love me some Tillman, back when he was increasing velocity as the game went along and approaching 120-130 pitches.

But those days are long gone.

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

A six page post on Nate Karns. This is our life...for the next three - five years. :(

I dunno man, I'm having a lot of fun. For the first time there's a real plan to be a first class organization that is, well, organized. It's freeing. There's no specter of false "competition". We can track all the new cool stuff that is implemented all year. There's structure, there's the promise of collaboration, analytics, fresh coaches out of college ball, a new manager and just seeing a new face in Buck's place is interesting. Some really interesting prospects to follow who will arrive this year. 

It's a good time!

On 2/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, interloper said:

I dunno man, I'm having a lot of fun. For the first time there's a real plan to be a first class organization that is, well, organized. It's freeing. There's no specter of false "competition". We can track all the new cool stuff that is implemented all year. There's structure, there's the promise of collaboration, analytics, fresh coaches out of college ball, a new manager and just seeing a new face in Buck's place is interesting. Some really interesting prospects to follow who will arrive this year. 

It's a good time!

Yes to all of this. Enjoying the ride already, even if the engine is just warming up.

Dan Connolly has posted a Q&A with Mike Elias

Why sign Karns to a major-league deal, and do you see him in the rotation or as a reliever/swingman?

I think either one of those. We are gonna see how he ramps up, He didn’t throw any innings last year, so we’re going to have to make a decision on how many we feel he can throw and how much he can be stretched out. And I think that the thing with him is that he has the potential to join the rotation if things go really well toward the end of spring training. But, also, obviously, if we need to transition him with some kind of bullpen role, shorter stints, he can do that, too. The reason that we went after him is that, in terms of our scouting and our analytics, he kinds of fits the bill for what we are looking for in a pitcher.

You watched Karns throw a bullpen session before signing him?

It was an open workout in the Dallas area at a facility he has been throwing at, and he threw for our scouts. The velocity was good. There’s a risk, but we’re just gonna have to see what happens. I think there were about 25 teams (there) from what I was told.

https://theathletic.com/810663/2019/02/11/qa-orioles-general-manager-mike-elias-upbeat-on-the-future-but-knows-theres-a-lot-of-work-to-do

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

On the Connolly: Rotation or Reliever?, Elias: Either One exchange, it'll be interesting to see how far we push blurring those role lines as we rebuild.  I think the world will always give a few dominant aces, but do think in the next few years even middle class pitchers like Cobb and Bundy will start feeling the effects of team pitching management.  

I think the best case for Karns is something like 2017 Brad Peacock.

Archived