Lucas and Scott up

interloper

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why not? Rogers doesn't have major league stuff and is spent, Bleier doesn't look like the same guy and may need some DL time or some minor league time to build back up.

I haven't seen Bleier pitch much, and when I have he's gotten beaten severely about the head and shoulders.  He has a 2.41 MLB ERA, but has spent the vast majority of his career in the minors, and has a 3.74 FIP.  His minor league ERA is almost 4.00, and that's with a ton of unearned runs on top.  And he doesn't strike out anybody at all; even in the minors he hasn't had six K/9 since A ball.

Is there any reason to believe that even when healthy he's going to be any good?  Or is this just a hope that he'll keep having an ERA a run and a half better than his FIP?

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I haven't seen Bleier pitch much, and when I have he's gotten beaten severely about the head and shoulders.  He has a 2.41 MLB ERA, but has spent the vast majority of his career in the minors, and has a 3.74 FIP.  His minor league ERA is almost 4.00, and that's with a ton of unearned runs on top.  And he doesn't strike out anybody at all; even in the minors he hasn't had six K/9 since A ball.

Is there any reason to believe that even when healthy he's going to be any good?  Or is this just a hope that he'll keep having an ERA a run and a half better than his FIP?

I don't know if that's a reason, but if he did come back "too soon" then perhaps he'll be better when it's not been "too soon".

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I don't know if that's a reason, but if he did come back "too soon" then perhaps he'll be better when it's not been "too soon".

That may explain why he's looked absolutely awful this year.  But I still have serious doubts that a 32-year-old with a minor league RA of 4.70 is going to be a good MLB pitcher.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Well. He does have about 120 IP in the majors of under 2 ERA and a shade under 1.2 WHIP. So, there is some evidence and hope that he could be effective as a major league pitcher when healthy.  

That said, you're right about this minor league stats. His stuff itself does not impress me on television and he's 32.

I always hold out hope, even for 32 year old relievers with uninspiring stuff. At least he's cheap! 

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That may explain why he's looked absolutely awful this year.  But I still have serious doubts that a 32-year-old with a minor league RA of 4.70 is going to be a good MLB pitcher.

We have seen pitchers under go surgery and not return to their former effectiveness.  That is the concern IMO.   

He has been a very good reliever for the last two years.   If he gets healthy he has a decent chance of returning to that form.  I could take a while.  Lat injuries are tough recover from.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I’ll settle for his 3.59 career FIP coming into 2019.    

Just now, wildcard said:

We have seen pitched under go surgery and not return to their former effectiveness.  That is the concern IMO.   

He has been a very good reliever for the last two years.   If he gets healthy he has a decent chance of returning to that form.  I could take a while.  Lat injuries are tough recover from.

Has he been a good pitcher, or has he been a mediocre pitcher who has gotten good results?

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Has he been a good pitcher, or has he been a mediocre pitcher who has gotten good results?

Results are what matter.

Pitchers can have the greats stuff and not be effective or be good pitchers.  Arrieta as an Oriole is a good example.   

What matters is can a pitcher get batters out consistently.

Archived