Fort Lauderdale Stadium

fansince1988

Guy's a Yankee fan and didn't know it was the ST home of the Yankees for years before they moved to Tampa.

Remember the years the FAA wouldn't allow the O's to play games at the stadium so they had to play every ST game on the road? Two hour drive each way for every game.

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Guy's a Yankee fan and didn't know it was the ST home of the Yankees for years before they moved to Tampa.

Remember the years the FAA wouldn't allow the O's to play games at the stadium so they had to play every ST game on the road? Two hour drive each way for every game.

What was the reason they were not allowed to play there? 

18 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

None of us remember this happening, including you. 

19 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

27 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

None of us remember this happening, including you. 

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Why do you make such comments? It was while Frank was managing.

It never happened.   The O’s wanted to renovate the complex and build certain things and the FAA didn’t let them.   But it never interfered with them playing at the existing facility, which they did until they moved to Sarasota.  

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Well, I obviously mis-remembered something, since the O's didn't start playing there until '96. 

I think you blurred several things together. The Orioles and the city couldn’t rebuild and modernize the stadium because the stadium was on airport property. I think the FAA wanted the Orioles to build a new tower as part of the approval process. The stadium was a long drive to the minor league spring training facility and isolated from most other major league spring training camps. 

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think you blurred several things together. The Orioles and the city couldn’t rebuild and modernize the stadium because the stadium was on airport property. I think the FAA wanted the Orioles to build a new tower as part of the approval process. The stadium was a long drive to the minor league spring training facility and isolated from most other major league spring training camps. 

Sounds about right. Perhaps I was thinking of long distances they had to go for away games, because most teams had left the area.

Archived