So how ‘bout that D. Smith jr?

HowAboutThat

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just imagine if we could get Dwight Smith Jr production from RF.

DJ Stewart has started hot in AAA. Mason Williams has a career .766 OPS vs RHP. Perfect platoon partner with Rickard or Mullins. 

Currently, RF OPS: .866; Dwight Smith Jr. OPS: .800

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's not blocking Stewart if Mancini stays out of the outfield.

Can Smith play a decent CF? The answer is probably not, although I believe he's played there some. That would enable you to option Mullins or Rickard and put DJ in LF. 

Nunez is an excellent DH so far against both RHP and LHP and can't play anywhere else.

Davis is here to stay until further notice. 

When we picked up Smith it seemed like he might have been a lefty platoon with Rickard in CF and Mullins in AAA. That's not how it worked out though.

9 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

So, I guess the editing fairies changed your post so it didn't say what you meant?

Sure Mancini is out there, but Rickard has had a lot of playing time in RF. 

The general problem with this offense is we’re not getting anything from C, Martin, Rickard vs RHP, Mullins, and 1B. 

My point is if you can squeeze out a .700 OPS from a Mason Williams/Rickard platoon we should do that. 

Rickard is the RF. If we were getting decent production from Rickard we’d be having Mancini DH or play 1B more. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sure Mancini is out there, but Rickard has had a lot of playing time in RF. 

The general problem with this offense is we’re not getting anything from C, Martin, Rickard vs RHP, Mullins, and 1B. 

My point is if you can squeeze out a .700 OPS from a Mason Williams/Rickard platoon we should do that. 

Rickard is the RF. If we were getting decent production from Rickard we’d be having Mancini DH or play 1B more. 

Mancini is the RF until they move Nunez to 3B or bench Davis. Rickard plays RF sparingly.

I would like to see the offense up graded but not at the cost of making the defense worse. Its important to kept a good defense of the pitchers.   I just don't see  a place for Stewart unless there is  an  injury.

I do not see a big drop off at the SS defense  between Martin and Villar so 2B may be a place to upgrade at some point if Wilkerson continues to hit,

Just now, wildcard said:

I would like to see the offense up graded but not at the cost of making the defense worse. Its important to kept a good defense of the pitchers.   I just don't see  a place for Stewart unless there is  an  injury.

I do not see a big drop off at the SS defense  between Martin and Villar so 2B may be a place to upgrade at some point if Wilkerson continues to hit,

So you don't think Stewart is an upgrade over Mancini?

1 hour ago, interloper said:

According to Fangraphs, Smith is basically the best defender on the team by UZR. Never 100% sure if I'm reading defensive metrics right though. 

You are, but you are reading less than a month's worth of defensive metrics, which are meaningless at that sample size. 

Archived