So how ‘bout that D. Smith jr?

HowAboutThat

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Not much and where does Mancini play if he is not in RF.  Putting Nunez at 3B to open up DH is a big defensive down grade.

Still on that Mancini defensive hill from last year?

Stewart is an actual outfielder, he's better than Mancini.  The real question is how much of a difference it makes at OPCAY. 

As for where Mancini plays, I'd sit Davis.  Yea he's in a hot streak right now and looks like he's turned a corner but it won't last. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Still on that Mancini defensive hill from last year?

Stewart is an actual outfielder, he's better than Mancini.  The real question is how much of a difference it makes at OPCAY. 

As for where Mancini plays, I'd sit Davis.  Yea he's in a hot streak right now and looks like he's turned a corner but it won't last. 

Also the added combination of Mancini’s offense might outweigh any defensive advantage that Stewart gives you in RF.

Stewart deserves a shot this year if he keeps producing at Norfolk. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also the added combination of Mancini’s offense might outweigh any defensive advantage that Stewart gives you in RF.

Stewart deserves a shot this year if he keeps producing at Norfolk. 

Might not.

Stewart might outhit Mancini.  (wOBA, wRC+)

Very is unlikely that Stewart out hits Mancini for an length on time.

There will be injuries and non performance.  Stewart will get his chance sometime this season.

Mancini is moving around the outfield better this season than he did last year with the knee injury.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Very is unlikely that Stewart out hits Mancini for an length on time.

There will be injuries and non performance.  Stewart will get his chance sometime this season.

Mancini is moving around the outfield better this season than he did last year with the knee injury.

Mancini in the majors- 115 OPS+

Stewart in his cup of coffee- 142 OPS+

Mancini at AAA- 775 OPS

Stewart at AAA- 716/1004 OPS

You have NO GROUNDS to say it is "very is unlikely".  It is certainly within the realm of possibility.

I know you like to blame Mancini's replacement level 2018 on an knee injury that somehow didn't result in a stint on the IL while simultaneously lingering all season impacting him in all facets of the game but the truth of the matter is Trey wasn't good last year. 

46 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You are, but you are reading less than a month's worth of defensive metrics, which are meaningless at that sample size. 

Haha thanks, yeah I'm sure it's meaningless so far. Interested to check back later in the year.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mancini in the majors- 115 OPS+

Stewart in his cup of coffee- 142 OPS+

Mancini at AAA- 775 OPS

Stewart at AAA- 716/1004 OPS

You have NO GROUNDS to say it is "very is unlikely".  It is certainly within the realm of possibility.

I know you like to blame Mancini's replacement level 2018 on an knee injury that somehow didn't result in a stint on the IL while simultaneously lingering all season impacting him in all facets of the game but the truth of the matter is Trey wasn't good last year. 

You have not been listening.  Mancini talked about how the injury limited him in the field and caused him to fall into bad habits at the plate last year.

No grounds?    How about comparing Stewart's first year at AAA.   He is now in his 2nd year.  A guess you think all good major league hitters need two years at AAA.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

You have not been listening.  Mancini talked about how the injury limited him in the field and cause him to fall into bad habits at the place last year.

No grounds?    How about comparing Stewart first year at AAA.   He is now in his 2nd year.  A guess you think all good major league hitters need two years at AAA.

His stint at AAA is not enough to be emphatic about his chances, you know this.  You also know that Mancini's offensive drop didn't occur until weeks after his injury, you know the one not severe enough to warrant an IL trip during a lost season. 

If you would like to show evidence that Mancini's defense declined after he banged his knee be my guest.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You have not been listening.  Mancini talked about how the injury limited him in the field and caused him to fall into bad habits at the plate last year.

No grounds?    How about comparing Stewart's first year at AAA.   He is now in his 2nd year.  A guess you think all good major league hitters need two years at AAA.

Stewart could outhit Mancini at the MLB level, but I think it is unlikely. Stewart has a 1.004 OPS in 47 at bats at Norfolk so far. If he keeps hitting we'll likely find out soon.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His stint at AAA is not enough to be emphatic about his chances, you know this.  You also know that Mancini's offensive drop didn't occur until weeks after his injury, you know the one not severe enough to warrant an IL trip during a lost season. 

If you would like to show evidence that Mancini's defense declined after he banged his knee be my guest.

You are still not listening.   Mancini said that the injury caused him to get him bad habits with his hitting.  He was compensation for the injury.   

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are still not listening.   Mancini said that the injury caused him to get him bad habits with his hitting.  He was compensation for the injury.   

I'm listening.  He never went on the DL.  His offensive drop off started weeks later.  He wasn't visibly effected. You have provided no evidence his defense deteriorated as a result.

Why in the world would you play through an injury in a 115 loss season?

Archived