Please Stop Messing WIth Givens

Aristotelian

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Whoever thought Givens was a big deal? There was a time he was being sought by other teams, but he was never a really solid backend type. Certainly not a closer with real  prospect bring back value.  Givens is a cool story on how he worked out and was helpful to some competitive Orioles teams with Great bullpen depth. 

I think we overrated him a little bit on here.  But your assessment is correct.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

For a bullpen arm who may not be very good, he's going to be making a lot of money after arbitration next year. Hope someone wants him at the deadline.

I'm sure someone will want him. How badly they want him is another story.

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree with this. Before I logged in and saw this thread I had thought about starting one titled "Maybe Givens Just Isn't That Good?"

IMO, he's somewhere in the middle.  I think he's probably best served as a later inning bridge guy who needs a clean inning.  As I said, having he luxury of a clean inning isn't always an option if you're a reliever but I think he probably thrives best in that role.  I'd like to see what his stats are for inherited runners, actually.   

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

For a bullpen arm who may not be very good, he's going to be making a lot of money after arbitration next year. Hope someone wants him at the deadline.

They will only want him if he is pitching effectively. Right now he is not.

I think Givens is very good.  The pitch Garcia crushed for a homer yesterday wasn’t all that bad IMO.    He tried to go up in the strike zone and didn’t get it quite high enough, but it wasn’t waist high (see graph below).   It was 96.7 mph.   I give Garcia some credit for putting a good swing on it.   location.php-pitchSel=571710&game=gid_20

As to asking him to get 5 outs, I’m not crazy about it, but I don’t think that caused him to give up the homer.   

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, he's somewhere in the middle.  I think he's probably best served as a later inning bridge guy who needs a clean inning.  As I said, having he luxury of a clean inning isn't always an option if you're a reliever but I think he probably thrives best in that role.  I'd like to see what his stats are for inherited runners, actually.   

Clean innings isn’t the problem. He’s inherited six runners, not one of them has scored.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Givens is very good.  The pitch Garcia crushed for a homer yesterday wasn’t all that bad IMO.    He tried to go up in the strike zone and didn’t get it quite high enough, but it wasn’t waist high.     I give Garcia some credit for putting a good swing on it.   location.php-pitchSel=571710&game=gid_20

As to asking him to get 5 outs, I’m not crazy about it, but I don’t think that caused him to give up the homer.   

He didn’t try to go up and away. Severino was set up low and away, Givens missed that location by a lot.

4 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Good thing Duquette didn’t trade Givens when he was supposedly getting phone call after phone call asking about him! How dare we sell high on anyone to get a solid return. Thanks, Danny Do-Nothing!!

Just because the phone calls where made, mean he was offered fair or good return.

Not like the GM called up and said Trout, and 2 Number 1 picks along with $10 million for Givens.

GMs regularly call around and kick the tires to see what available. Almost like a waste of time, but apparently sometimes things do get done.

33 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Good thing Duquette didn’t trade Givens when he was supposedly getting phone call after phone call asking about him! How dare we sell high on anyone to get a solid return. Thanks, Danny Do-Nothing!!

Yep, total shame not to have moved Givens last deadline.

Give away Gausman for a lot of nothing, keep Bundy and Givens.

45 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Selling high? What were the offers?

Archived