O's players pace after 15% of the season

wildcard

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eventually.  Maybe if you combine 2019 and 2020.

If Cashner somehow wins 20 games, he might challenge the record (is it a record?) that Steve Carlton has for winning the highest percentage of his teams victories in '72.  

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, you stumped me, who won 71.4%?

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Carlton won more than 71.4%?

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Old Hoss Radbourn won 60 games for the 1884 Providence Grays (84 wins).

Might not be the record.

In 1874 Al Spalding was credited with all 52 of Boston's wins.  That was the National Association, so it's kind of personal preference if you count that as Major League or not.

In 1876 George Bradley got all 45 of St. Louis' wins.  That's National League, so the all-time record is 100%.  He threw 573 innings in his team's 64 games, but only struck out 103 so clearly that's not going to last.  Jim Devlin, infamous for being banned for life as part of the 1877 Louisville scandal, led the league in both innings (622) and Ks (122) that year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey @DrungoHazewood you should write a book about pre 1900 baseball.  I'm dead serious.

A. you're passionate about the subject.  B. you're a good writer

I'm not sure what the format would be, maybe just a collection of stories of oddball stuff that happened.  Maybe research a team and chronicle their season.  But I'd read it for sure.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey @DrungoHazewood you should write a book about pre 1900 baseball.  I'm dead serious.

I'm not sure what the format would be, maybe just a collection of stories of oddball stuff that happened.  Maybe research a team and chronicle their season.  But I'd read it for sure.  

Hear, hear.   And Drungo Hazeeood is an excellent pen name.   

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I appreciate that, but I'm Lew Ford to the Mike Trout and Willie Mays of John Thorn and the late Harold Seymour.  Thorn's Baseball in the Garden of Eden is excellent, and Seymour's Baseball, The Early Years is a classic I first read in college.  And the 1800s chapters from Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstracts have a lot of the funny and interesting anecdotes you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I appreciate that, but I'm Lew Ford to the Mike Trout and Willie Mays of John Thorn and the late Harold Seymour.  Thorn's Baseball in the Garden of Eden is excellent, and Seymour's Baseball, The Early Years is a classic I first read in college.  And the 1800s chapters from Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstracts have a lot of the funny and interesting anecdotes you're talking about.

Oh come on.  No one's asking you to be John Thorn or Harold Seymour.  Just be Drungo F'ing Hazewood.

Archived