The Kangaroo Court and Frank Robinson

Frobby

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If the current O’s fined pitchers for giving up homers on 0-2 counts, they could have their team party in the Bahamas with all the money they’d collect!

So you fine the guy $100, and even at the league minimum salary, thats a cup of coffee to them and to the money makers, penny candy.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you fine the guy $100, and even at the league minimum salary, thats a cup of coffee to them and to the money makers, penny candy.

That’s probably why the Kangaroo Court died off. 

Just now, Frobby said:

That’s probably why the Kangaroo Court died off. 

Maybe, but these days, I noticed the change in attitude among the newer generation. You tell somebody they didnt run out a hit and the first words out of their mouth is FY.

When I was growing up, any neighbor or friends of my parents were allowed to yell at me if they see me doing something wrong. Now adays in these politically correct days, you cant yell at somebody else's kid.

33 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe, but these days, I noticed the change in attitude among the newer generation. You tell somebody they didnt run out a hit and the first words out of their mouth is FY.

When I was growing up, any neighbor or friends of my parents were allowed to yell at me if they see me doing something wrong. Now adays in these politically correct days, you cant yell at somebody else's kid.

At an O’s game I attended last week, a young kid was kind of climbing over people to get back to his seat.   An usher caught him and marched him around to the other side of the section and took him to where his mother was sitting.    I didn’t pay close attention because I was watching the game, but I’m pretty sure that usher wasn’t shy about letting the mom know she didn’t approve of what the kid was doing.   

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

At an O’s game I attended last week, a young kid was kind of climbing over people to get back to his seat.   An usher caught him and marched him around to the other side of the section and took him to where his mother was sitting.    I didn’t pay close attention because I was watching the game, but I’m pretty sure that usher wasn’t shy about letting the mom know she didn’t approve of what the kid was doing.   

Good for him.

Of course in our days, our mothers would have caught up to us, before an Usher had to. :)

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good for him.

Of course in our days, our mothers would have caught up to us, before an Usher had to. :)

I'm a dad of two young kids. I coach their teams so there is some truth to what you are saying. Parents do not want their kid yelled at. Period. They are happy to have their kid coached though. Yelling and harsh discipline is basically not accepted anymore by parents. But parents don't spank today either. I was spanked, but I would never spank. 

You can tell kids what to do -- no hugging on the field, pay attention, run hard out of the box. It just has to be delivered in a way that is not aggressive. Just the way it us. Coaches didn't used to have to worry about this or adjust to this. Now we do. 

Do I worry some lessons that I learned are not getting taught/reinforced? A little. But kids are just used to a little different world. They want know why you told them to do something. Not just do it. I get it all. The frustration with the new generation by older school people, but also I get why kids are different and why they question stuff and are not just robots and why they just don't take verbal abuse. Just my perspective.  

6 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I'm a dad of two young kids. I coach their teams so there is some truth to what you are saying. Parents do not want their kid yelled at. Period. They are happy to have their kid coached though. Yelling and harsh discipline is basically not accepted anymore by parents. But parents don't spank today either. I was spanked, but I would never spank. 

You can tell kids what to do -- no hugging on the field, pay attention, run hard out of the box. It just has to be delivered in a way that is not aggressive. Just the way it us. Coaches didn't used to have to worry about this or adjust to this. Now we do. 

Do I worry some lessons that I learned are not getting taught/reinforced? A little. But kids are just used to a little different world. They want know why you told them to do something. Not just do it. I get it all. The frustration with the new generation by older school people, but also I get why kids are different and why they question stuff and are not just robots and why they just don't take verbal abuse. Just my perspective.  

There is s discipline spanking and there is abuse, plan and simple.

There is coaching and then there are the yellers, and I have no tolerance for the yellers.

Ive coach rec league and multiple sports, basketball parents were the worst and most obnoxious parents, and soccer then baseball.

I was coaching 9 year old, and after the 3rd time my guard did a turnover by "showboating". I yelled at him, to stop showboating, I had his parent yell across the court that he wasnt showboating. Back 20 years ago and dribbling behind one's back, was considered showboating, and evident of the 3 turnovers, the kid was able to accomplish that in a game setting.

You tell them, put the glove on the ground, or the ball is going to go under, you tell them, use 3 hands on fly outs, or it will pop out of your glove.

The problem, they watch their idols on TV and in RL, and they want to emulate them.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Kangaroo Court was much funnier watching in person. It was irreverent, and profane, and lots of double entendres and lots of hysterical  banter ...what a privilege to watch Frank in all his glory. We never had a leader and a player like Frank. Eddie was great and comes close. Adam Jones was a similar type leader but he didn't have the credentials Frank had. Brooks was quiet and not a "fire up" guy.When Robinson walked into the clubhouse things began...not until. He was relentlessly hard on young players.He believed everyone had to earn their place on the roster. No gimmicks, no  free passes. Simply put, Frank Robinson was the most important single force in the Orioles glory years.Im glad I got to witness it first hand...

I envy you and you are one lucky man, and thanks for sharing.

Archived