O's listening to trade offers for Givens

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I realize this is an effort in futility however....let's try:

What would you rather have?

A.  2.5 years of Givens, playing for a rebuilding team that most likely won't be a winner and the likelihood leaving in free agency with the Orioles not getting anything in return

B.  Givens traded, netting one good prospect or two solid prospects that would be under team control for years to come and could possibly be a part of the next Orioles winning team

To me, keeping Givens for 2.5 years in a rebuilding effort makes zero sense to me.  I realize we won't get much back for him so I'd rather get prospects back for him.

There are a lot of fans who don't actually have the stomach for a real rebuild.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, atomic said:

But Givens isn’t the Britton of 3 years ago. If we are getting a Britton like haul for Givens it is better to keep him.  I am not sure what the hurry is to unload the little bit of talent we have. Not like we have guys in the minors beating down the doors. And most of the guys we got last year are playing much worse than our drafted prospects.  Well Banlon and Pop seem playing well but the rest seem like busts.

Which is exactly why you don't wait until the last month to trade your best items, as we did with Machado and Britton. As for the Gausman trade, it was made under financial pressures that no longer exist.

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Have you not learned anything since you've been posting here?

I didn't say he was a bad reliever.  He's pretty good.  Is he elite?  No.  But I think he can be a really good bridge guy to an elite setup man/closer combo.  

Two more years of team control MAKES HIM MORE VALUABLE.  Read that and then read it again.  Better yet, type it out and reply to me with it so I know you read it.  Hopefully it sinks in.  Two years of team control is EXACTLY WHY YOU TRADE HIM.  He does have value, I just think some posters here are going to be expecting way too much in return.  

Atomic did make a valid point when he said that Givens should not be throwing multiple innings.  At the moment, at least, he’s not really a six out guy. He may be a four out guy, but we want to show him as positively as possible.

The other team has access to all the information, just like we do, but by putting him in the most advantageous position, we can reinforce the idea that he is trending up. 

Trading a Chevrolet will get you less than trading a Cadillac, that is just how God made the world. However, the Givens subject brings up a question about what kind of prospect do we want in return? Timing is important, we want somebody who’s ready  for the show when the bulk of the team will also be ready for the show

Tate and Ortiz were poor returns, because each was a twice traded first round pick who had shown no improvement in three different systems with three different coaching staffs. I suspect they appealed because each was a first round choice that allegedly still had potential. I would much rather have guys with lower ceilings and much higher floors.

I do not expect that Givens will bring back a huge return, although I do have faith in management ability to judge well. I just really hope that we avoid glossy high draft picks who have already flopped.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Early.

Guess they don't think he has much of a chance to raise his stock.

Even worse scenario: They've concluded there's a good chance he'll get worse as the 2019 season wears on. It's for other teams to try to figure that out.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I realize this is an effort in futility however....let's try:

What would you rather have?

A.  2.5 years of Givens, playing for a rebuilding team that most likely won't be a winner and the likelihood leaving in free agency with the Orioles not getting anything in return

B.  Givens traded, netting one good prospect or two solid prospects that would be under team control for years to come and could possibly be a part of the next Orioles winning team

To me, keeping Givens for 2.5 years in a rebuilding effort makes zero sense to me.  I realize we won't get much back for him so I'd rather get prospects back for him.

You said we weren’t getting a good prospect for Givens.  I said if that is the case I wouldn’t trade him.  Now you are saying we are getting a good prospect for him.  I am not sure what point you are trying to make other than arguing to argue.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

The lack of quality trade chips in this org tells me this will be a very very long & painful rebuild.

If you look how our prospects are doing in the top 3 levels you would realize the rebuild In the current form is pretty futile.  

The teams that have a competitive balance pick A or B and may need a reliever are:

Rays  36

Yankees 38

Twins 39

Rays 40

Seattle 76

Colorado 77

Seattle and Colorado are the B Competitive Picks.  They would be my targets straight up if they throw some 2019-2020 International Slot Money in.

Rays , Yankees and Twins are Comp. A.  Straight up for those picks.

5 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

The teams that have a competitive balance pick A or B and may need a reliever are:

Rays  36

Yankees 38

Twins 39

Rays 40

Seattle 76

Colorado 77

Seattle and Colorado are the B Competitive Picks.  They would be my targets straight up if they throw some 2019-2020 International Slot Money in.

Rays , Yankees and Twins are Comp. A.  Straight up for those picks.

Givens is worth more than a comp B pick. Really if that is all it takes to get Givens we should trade our comp B pick for someone similar to Givens.

I like Givens, but right now, no one on our roster is nailed down, and everyone is tradable for a good return.

We are under construction for at least the next couple of seasons, so that we can have a good core to start winning games 3-5 years from now.  That's the reality, and I hope none of you are getting too attached to any of these guys playing for us today.

Archived