O's claim Shawn Armstrong off waivers from Seattle

Tony-OH

The Orioles claim 28-year old right-handed reliever Shawn Armstrong off waivers from Seattle. Armstrong has been hammered this year in Seattle as his velocity has dropped on his fastball (92.4 vs 93.7) and Slider (81.9 vs 85.2). The Orioles will see if they can fix what was wrong.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/armstsh01.shtml

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles claim 28-year old right-handed reliever Shawn Armstrong off waivers from Seattle. Armstrong has been hammered this year in Seattle as his velocity has dropped on his fastball (92.4 vs 93.7) and Slider (81.9 vs 85.2). The Orioles will see if they can fix what was wrong.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/armstsh01.shtml

Seattle apparently thought Mike Wright was a better bet.   I’m not expecting much here.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seattle apparently thought Mike Wright was a better bet.   I’m not expecting much here.  

Mike Wright was drafted in 3rd round of 2011 draft from East Carolina University.  

Shawn Armstrong was drafted in 18th round of 2011 draft from...East Carolina University!    

• Upvote 3

Armstrong is out of options.  So the O's either put him right back on waivers hoping to get him to Norfolk.    Or he stays in the O's pen.  Armstrong, in that case, would probably replace Ortiz.

So much for my call of Ramirez being called up.   

Armstrong began the season on the IL with an oblique injury.  He had a rehab assignment and was activate on April 10th.     He has pitched in 4 games for the Mariners since coming off the IL allow 6 earned run in 3.2 IP.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mariners-shawn-armstrong-heading-for-minor-league-rehab-work/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=armstsh01&t=p&year=2019

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think I suggested that this might happen, to the derisive laughter of the crowd, and yet lo! It is so!

I just hope this guy is coming on as a minor leaguer, and won’t see the 25 man or the 40 man until/unless he shows himself worthy.

Nope, he is a major leaguer without options.  Probably gets a chance to show what he has.  Ortiz was probably sent down to make room for Armstrong.

18 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Armstrong is a plus spin rate flier it seems.

He was top 10 in the majors in FB, cutter, and slider spin rate in 2018.

The last year or so Buck was around, he spent a lot of time talking about spin rate. It became his go- to Stat when he apparently got tired of talking about Time to the plate.

Luke I know you’re big on analysis in the minor-leaguers, and I enjoy very much reading your comments, can you explain what’s the big deal about spin rate?

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

the-original-stretch-armstrong.jpg

I had one of those!    You really couldn’t pull the limbs off no matter how hard you tried!

Sorry for the derail.    I am amazed by all these moves.   All O’s should be notice that their time could be short I guess.    

Hyde is gonna he pointing a finger at some point and saying hey you!    Yes you!  Your up!   (Whispers to Long, what’s that guys name again?).