2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

What did the O's get out of last season's fire sale?  A wounded Yusniel Diaz that is underperforming this year and............. what?

Kremer and Zimmermann both look good. Bannon looks decent, and Pop showed promise before getting hurt. So there’s that.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, theocean said:

If the O's eat some salary, I think we could all be quite surprised by what the O's could get for Cashner. Bumgarner and Stroman will likely be the big names - but Cashner could bring back something decent from a team who misses out on those two.

I think you've got it: if Cashner continues to produce at a level comparable to what he has provided so far this season, multiple clubs will be looking at him. If the Orioles just want to dump salary, they may receive a return of two or three high-minors, quasi-prospects. But if they eat some salary -- and this may depend on how much salary they are willing to eat --  they may land a player close to a #75-#100 prospect along with a low-upside, near MLB-ready starter who might help eat innings (think Ynoa, Yefry, Eshelman, Wojo. Or maybe don't think about them as the template for of a Mr.-Right-for-Now starting pitcher).

7 hours ago, Sessh said:

When trading Cashner, I would prefer quality over quantity to the largest degree possible even if it means only one player coming back in the deal.

Do people really think this is a choice (quantity vs quality) that the selling team gets to make willingly?

Do they think that the buying team sees a couple mid level prospects equal a top prospect?

It’s amusing that people think DD chose quantity over quality at last year’s deadline and don’t realize that teams weren’t going to give up their top prospects for what we were offering.

I am interested in what happens with the deadline with an August deadline what teams do.  Will teams that are hanging around a few games out forced to make a trade they usually wouldn’t at the July deadline because their is no waiver deadline trade period.  This would be teams like Arizona Cincinnati Pittsburgh or the Rangers.  Those teams need pitching with guys that are back end of the rotation types.  They might not want to gamble with a big guy but move for a guy to shore up back end of pitching staff.  How many teams will be sellers and how many will be buyers because they are within reach of wild card.  

With what I said in previous post here is a few predictions of type of trades I could see.

Cashner to Arizona for Taylor Clark and another prospect around the 30-50 range.   

Villar to Cubs for Oscar DeLa Cruz and Trent Giambrone.

Givens to Pirates for O’Neil Cruz and Max Kranick 

Which teams are in reasonable reach of a WC? 

Is the WC really a meaningful goal? It’s fool’s gold to trade away meaningful pieces for a chance at one game. We did it when we traded Davies for Parra( that trade alone should insure lifetime unemployment for Dan) and it didn’t work.

The Rangers, DBacks, Rockies, and every other close team is going to be very careful about dealing assets for a mirage.

Meanwhile, can Cleveland catch Minnesota? Boston or Tampa catch NY? That might be where the action is, because the Indians are desperate and their window is closing, Boston is embarrassing, and Tampa is really close.

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

With what I said in previous post here is a few predictions of type of trades I could see.

Cashner to Arizona for Taylor Clark and another prospect around the 30-50 range.   

Villar to Cubs for Oscar DeLa Cruz and Trent Giambrone.

Givens to Pirates for O’Neil Cruz and Max Kranick 

No way we get O'neil Cruz for Givens. I'd trade cashner, villar, and givens for O'neil Cruz haha

On 6/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, Greg Pappas said:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/prospects/stats?dateRange=Year2019&minPA=1

I love looking at this link because it makes it so easy to get updated stats for most of our top prospects AND is a cool resource to review other teams' top prospects when considering potential trades.

There is a drop-down menu to choose a team right above where it reads "Top Prospect Batters".

50 minutes ago, Philip said:

Which teams are in reasonable reach of a WC? 

Is the WC really a meaningful goal? It’s fool’s gold to trade away meaningful pieces for a chance at one game. We did it when we traded Davies for Parra( that trade alone should insure lifetime unemployment for Dan) and it didn’t work.

The Rangers, DBacks, Rockies, and every other close team is going to be very careful about dealing assets for a mirage.

Meanwhile, can Cleveland catch Minnesota? Boston or Tampa catch NY? That might be where the action is, because the Indians are desperate and their window is closing, Boston is embarrassing, and Tampa is really close.

All those teams you mentioned are still competing for Wild Card spots regardless of their division races and will likely be buyers.  

I count a minimum of 9 teams in the AL in playoff contention and 12 in the NL.  Now all 21 may not be buyers.  But that's 21 that almost definitely will not be sellers. 

So I think it may be more of a seller's market than first anticipated.  Doesn't mean we will get a fool's ransom back for any of our guys, but I think there will be some interest in several of our players and we could end up being surprised with the return.  

12 minutes ago, AceKing said:

It seems like it has been an eerily quiet trade market this season.  Lots of gun shy teams and some others who are less motivated maybe?

Historically, how many deals do you really see before a week or so before the trade deadline?  That's where most of the action is going to occur.  There is rarely a lot of action in the first part of the month. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

All those teams you mentioned are still competing for Wild Card spots regardless of their division races and will likely be buyers.  

I count a minimum of 9 teams in the AL in playoff contention and 12 in the NL.  Now all 21 may not be buyers.  But that's 21 that almost definitely will not be sellers. 

So I think it may be more of a seller's market than first anticipated.  Doesn't mean we will get fool's ransom back for any of our guys, but I think there will be some interest in several of our players and we could end up being surprised with the return.  

Yes, I agree that these guys are all within reach of a wild card. The point of my comment, though, was that even the first wildcard isn't worth a major expenditure in terms of trade. Cashner is a logical target for Bubble teams that need pitching, but only because he’s cheap. If he’s not cheap he’s no longer a worthwhile target. So we’re going to trade him for a little or not at all. Givens has even less value and will return even less.

Teams are becoming more aware of the value of their younger players, that’s why there are fewer stupid long-term free-agent contracts. The same applies to breaking the bank for a better chance at a one game playoff. It’s just not a good investment. With that in mind, if we move our assets, we’re not gonna get much for them.

Archived