2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

Most likely to least likely to be traded (of the viable candidates) IMO:  Cashner, Givens, Villar, Bundy, Mancini. 

I'd put Cashner and Givens at >50 percent chance, Villar at =50 percent, and Bundy and Mancini <50 percent.  

For Givens it really depends on how he's pitching.  If he can string together some nice outings and get that ERA under 4.50 I think that increases his chances.  I do expect Elias to be aggressive (within reason) on pursuing trades. 

I think it's going to be a quiet trade deadline for the O's, with maybe a minor move or two.

Honestly even if Elias did decide to move as many players as possible I just don't see anyone bringing back a significant return. Mancini and Cashner are our best assets and I doubt they would bring back anything better than maybe a fringe Top 100 prospect at best.

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think we could actually have a pretty quiet trade deadline, and justifiably so. The big piece we do have, Mancini, you don't need to be in any rush to trade him if the offer isn't there. We have so little AAA pitching depth that it's almost impossible to trade Cash or Bundy. 

I do think we can still move Givens as he's been doing better of late and people need relievers. 

Cashner is the big piece not Mancini.  I expect Mancini stays.  Why would we trade him?  I also see Givens being traded.  He has great stuff.  I think Hyde didn't use Givens well earlier in the season and messed him up.  I

11 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Means to the Brewers for Hiura.  Might as well predict someone with value getting traded

This is interesting.  It would be such a bold move for Elias to trade Means this season but if the offer is right I think its worth considering.  What are the odds that this is the best half Means will ever have at the major league level? 50/50?

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

We should only trade for players who do not have to be on the 40-man roster next season. We already have a pending roster crunch.

We don't have any sort of crunch.  We can get rid of guys like Ruiz, Nunez, Martin, Broxton, Wilkerson, Smith Jr, 3/4's of our pitching staff.  And bad players not on the 40 man roster don't get claimed in the rule 5 draft. 

Guys like Cedric Mullins, Cody Carroll and Chandler Shepard aren't even in the big leagues and are on the 40 man roster. Those guys won't be on it.

Really I can't imagine having more space on the 40 man than we do. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

We don't have any sort of crunch.  We can get rid of guys like Ruiz, Nunez, Martin, Broxton, Wilkerson, Smith Jr, 3/4's of our pitching staff.  And bad players not on the 40 man roster don't get claimed in the rule 5 draft. 

Guys like Cedric Mullins, Cody Carroll and Chandler Shepard aren't even in the big leagues and are on the 40 man roster. Those guys won't be on it.

Really I can't imagine having more space on the 40 man than we do. 

Aren't there a bunch of guys who need to be added after the season?

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Captain Sample Size!  Let's wait and see if Esh and Wojo can get through 5 or 6 innings consistently.

He didn't say anything about quality.  Just "bodies".  Although I'm not sure why a MLB GM gets a gold star for the ability to acquire 30-year-old journeymen AAA pitchers for spare change.

• Haha 1

Cashner -  The O's are going to have to eat a lot on money to trade Cashner.  But they will because if they don't eat some they will have to pay it all in salary and bonuses the rest of the season.

Signing Bonus - 3m yet to be paid.

Salary - 2.7m remaining as on July 31st.

Performance bonuses:  - Cashner is on pace for 30 starts and 167 IP.  If he keeps that pace he will earn 2.9m in performance bonuses.

That totals 8.6m that the O's have yet to pay Cashner.  

I think the O's would pay the 5.7m in signing bonus and salary to get rid of the performance bonus money if they could get a decent prospect in return.

Mancini -  I think it will take two top 100  prospects for Elias to trade Mancini at the deadline.  He is available but the price is very high because there is no pressure to sell.  He is cheap right now. I think he will stay.

Nunez -  Is on pace for 36 homers and 88 RBI.   Someone might be interested in that offense.  If someone offers as decent two way position prospect or a decent pitching prospect he is gone IMO.  His salary is cheap but the O's have other DH that can take his place.

Villar - Does score runs but is a mess on the bases and in the field.   Pretty much a 2nd division player.  He is available but I don't think the O's find a taker.

Givens and Bundy - Elias would be selling low on these two pitchers.  I don't think he gets the offers that he would accept.

So I think Cashner and maybe Nunez are traded.

• Upvote 1