Trade Value Expectations

Greg Pappas

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Having a negative rating and making dumb plays are two different things.    

Yes that’s true, but I have heard multiple dumb plays lamented about by the radio guys, TV guys too, but mostly I listen, and when Jim Hunter is lamenting, it means something. And remember, dumb plays don’t necessarily show up as errors.

Bear in mind that I am not anti-Villar, I just don’t think he has much value, but I do think we should get rid of him if possible.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes that’s true, but I have heard multiple dumb plays lamented about by the radio guys, TV guys too, but mostly I listen, and when Jim Hunter is lamenting, it means something. And remember, dumb plays don’t necessarily show up as errors.

Bear in mind that I am not anti-Villar, I just don’t think he has much value, but I do think we should get rid of him if possible.

I wouldn't get rid of him just to get rid of him.  He's still an asset and if you aren't pleased with the return, I'd keep him.  And I wouldn't trade him just because of some dumb players (which I believe have mostly just been pick offs at 1b)

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Elias will take a DSL prospects (that he likes) if it means he can trade Villar. 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t consider it splitting hairs.    I was responding to a post claiming that Villar “makes really stupid mindless mistakes all the time.”   Whether he’s a good defender is irrelevant to that point. Mancini’s a poor defender and nobody claims it’s because he makes dumb plays.  

There’s a difference between a mistake and carelessness. Villar makes both. Mistakes are just mistakes, but carelessness is uneducable because by definition it is unpredictable.

I haven’t noted down each time it happened so I unfortunately can’t cite this day, this inning, but it’s happened multiple times.

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I wouldn't get rid of him just to get rid of him.  He's still an asset and if you aren't pleased with the return, I'd keep him.  And I wouldn't trade him just because of some dumb players (which I believe have mostly just been pick offs at 1b)

The logic in getting rid of him is that his arbitration raise will be too high, so he’s a non-tender candidate.

His arbitration raise will be somewhere around $7 million, and that’s actually not a bad price for him, but the cost maybe more than the Orioles want to pay at this time, so Better to get something for him now then send him away for nothing in November.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Which would you prefer?

1. Trade Villar for minor league filler (non-prospect) and pay part of his salary, or ...
  2. Hold on to Villar and non-tendering him in December

I'm not sure which of those is the worse deal.

3. 17-year old DSL players!

42 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Which would you prefer?

1. Trade Villar for minor league filler (non-prospect) and pay part of his salary, or ...

The salary is a sunk cost if we don't trade him, so I would trade him on the theory that something is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Which would you prefer?

Option 3. Trade him for a DSL flier. Look into re-signing him once he is non-tendered this offseason. 

7 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd gladly take Adbert Alzolay for Villar. At 24 though he might be too old :)

According to MASN's Roch Kubatko, the Cubs have discussed Jonathan Villar with the Orioles.

Kubatko adds, however, that the "there doesn't appear to be a match" between the two clubs. 

Riley Thompson or Morel

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Which would you prefer?

There are more than two options .....there is no way in hell he gets nontendered. Implying there is, is just dumb. They will pay him 7 million and if they aren't comfortable doing that give him 2-3 years at 5.5 per. He's a useful player that makes a few mistakes due to the fact that he's a hustle player. And defensivley he's a 2B who has spent time at SS ( out of position), just like Mancini